The Inexpensive UniFi 16port lite POE Switch Review & Lab Test

1 Like

Thanks for the review, @LTS_Tom !
Since the max power delivery is definitely an issue on these, how do you like to size your POE setups? I know a least some POE devices use more juice starting up as compared with then the device is booted and running. Do you consider 20-30% below the switch’s max output to be a good place? That would mean something like a typical usage of 33W POE on that unit, with headroom up to 45W ‘just in case’.
Thank you!

Really surprised they can’t even match the UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W in power. But I do have one of those and if I need more ports I think I will just add this and use the 8 port for cameras. I guess this is really for the small clients that don’t need POE but do have a couple AP’s.

I always prefer to buy way over the power budget whenever possible to minimize the equipment stress and maximize the life. And as I stated in the video, this switch is more likely home user target audience.

1 Like

Been running this switch for 2 months now with 4 AP’s drawing POE mounted on the wall in my basement wire closet that doesn’t have a rack. Also have Synolgoy NAS LAG connected and another one of these switches LAG connected from my test bench back to the closet. No issues with VLAN’s, LAG, or anything else I have connected. Worth the $199 price tag.

1 Like