Considering some of the features that Scale offers that Core just can’t (or maybe won’t), it would have been more accurate for them to say that initially we don’t plan on dropping Core, but that it could happen down the road if we decide that Scale is a better fit. Which is what a lot of us assumed was going to happen. I fiddled with an older Scale, then dropped it because what I was trying to do wasn’t going to work. I’ll have to load it up and fiddle with it some more on my lab system.
Look at some of the Core negatives:
Root management only
Behyve doesn’t work for a lot of things (at least the older versions I was trying)
Limited hardware (not always a negative for enterprise, requires solid , known hardware)
Built in Docker
Better VM support
Ability to “simply” create a large storage cluster from multiple Scale servers
You could say better hardware support, but do enterprise users really care? I buy hardware that fits the need for something like this, my lab might be the only place where I might care about better hardware support because it is more likely to get “whatever” I can find on the used market.
In the end, I think security is going to push the switch to scale. This is something they mention in the migration documents, getting FIPS compliant allows them to get into big government areas that really pay the bills. And paying the bills drives development because you have the funding to research new ways of doing things, develop new features, etc.
In the end, I’m not going to be very critical about this change, so far they haven’t decided to have limited updates to the free version or leave features out of the free version. I see this as kind of a natural progression and since it is in Stable, I should finally look at it and learn how to make it work. The previous attempts were while it was still in Beta or RC, so not really a fair test of the product or how lazy I could be when switching.
But all that said, it would be nice if they told everyone that they will be phasing out Core in favor of Scale going forward. And then give people a couple years to make that change now that we have a Stable release with a little time behind it.