Tailscale setup

Hey all!

With the new Tailscale package for pfSense I got al excited and started to work on my Tailscale network. Now I bump in some issues and I was wondering how to fix them or if it is even possible.

The devices I have:

• pfSensebox, let’s call this one “home”
  • pfSensebox, “parents”
  • pfSensebox, “work”
  • My iPhone
  • My Windows laptop

What I want:

Pfsensebox home (tag:home)

• Is allowed to access everyting in the Tailnet
  • Must use his own DNS
  • Advertises his routes
  • acts as exit node for laptop and iPhone
    → Runs a Pihole on 192.168.x.x

Pfsensebox parents (tag:parents)

• Is not allowed to access anything
  • must use his own DNS
  • Advertises his routes

Pfsensebox work (tag:work)

• Is not allowed to access anything
  • must use his own DNS
  • Advertises his routes

iPhone

• is allowed to access anything
  • must use Pihole DNS from home

Laptop

• is allowed to access anything
  • must use Pihole DNS from home

What I tried:

Set the DNS in Tailscale to the Pihole address 192.168.x.x
This works for iPhone and laptop, when in the ACL is set:
{“action”: “accept”, “users”: [““], “ports”: [”:"]}, but not when set:
{“action”: “accept”, “src”: [“tag:iphone”], “dst”: ["tag:home:
”]},

Also, i have to override the local DNS settings to get this to work on the iPhone, because there are nog manual settings in the Tailscale app. The problem is that when I set it to override, all the devices use that DNS server. I don’t want that to happen.

How do I tackle these problems and is it even possible?
Thanks in advance!

As far as I know the DNS settings in Tailscale affects all the devices on the Tailscale network.

If you want to allow your iPhone to use the PiHole as DNS, then I guess it will be necessary to make an ACL as follows: “action”: “accept”, “src”: [“tag:iphone”], “dst”: [“192.168.x.x:53”] (192.168.x.x being the IP address of your PiHole.

I have configured my Tailscale network with pfSense as subnet router. I have set the IP of pfSense as the local DNS (with split DNS) in TailScale and CloudFlare as public DNS. I am not using pfSense as exit node, as this causes web pages to take a long time to finish loading when pfBlockerNG is enabled. I have not yet figured out why.

Sorry that I can’'t help with your challange of only allowing your iPhone to use PiHole as DNS. However, I hope the above can be of some help.

hey @jase-dk , thanks for your reply!

I will look into your config, maybe this solution also work for me. At the moment I am testing multimple Site-to-Site options to see which one suits me the best.

Maybe I have to accept that what I want is not possible with tailscale :slight_smile: