Synology NAS Configuration with pfsense

As the first step in my self-hosting journey, I set up a pfsense router. Took a little doing and a few scary moments, but I able to get it working. I have a Synology NAS and I’m wondering if there is a tutorial or page that describes how to configure it to work with pfsense. I think I can get it working on my own, but I want to do it the right way without compromising security. i did extensive searches over the last two days (here, on Tom’s YouTube channel, Synology’s web site and the Internet in general) and haven’t found anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is nothing specific that you have to do, it’s just a question of whether or not you want to publicly expose your Synology via opening a port in pfsense.

Best not to expose it to the internet, if you need to access it remotely setup OpenVPN on pfSense to access your NAS. Other than that if you’re the only one using at home, I don’t think there is much risk, don’t use any Synology services that allow remote access to your NAS, that is about as secure as you can get.

Okay, I think I may have given the false impression that I know what I’m doing. I’m a newbie working my way into self-hosting by using Tom’s videos (thanks for those @LTS_Tom). The last time I set up my NAS (a DS1813+) almost 10 years ago, I let the router tool set up my router to work with my NAS. Unfortunately (and I eventually mean to change this), my NAS is where I host stuff at the moment. It was easy to set up and had a lot of great apps. I’ve been using Drive, Note Station, Video Station and several others. I’ve been playing with Docker on the NAS, though nothing is accessing the outside yet. Since I set up my pfsense box, it’s been without Internet connection, even to download updates and packages. When I said I thought I could get it working, I was thinking I could turn on UPNP and let the router tool work it’s magic. But that doesn’t seem like a good idea.

And this brings up another point, what’s the safe way to access the Net? Reverse proxy (which I know very little about). One of my next tasks is to work through Tom’s video about HA-proxy.

Thanks to you both.