Sunday Vlog Chat Questions

Hello!

I’m not sure if I’m putting these discussion points in the correct area, but I had a couple of questions for Tom Lawrence’s on Sunday’s Clog chat, if it’s not too much of a bother.

1. I see you use Debian a fair bit. Is this the server Linux variant you prefer? I’m just curious because we are seeing a number of our manufactures move away from RedHat-based Linux and default to Rocky Linux (open source). We didn’t pay much attention to this in the beginning, but now with so many products and manufactures moving to Rocky Linux, I was eager to get your opinion if you have one on Rocky Linux.?

2. You’ve been great to show us the apps that you use to run your websites, forums, etc. Just curious - for folks that post vlog-style videos on YouTube now and then and who are looking to move to a new web developer/hoster - is there any one you recommend yourself or are you hosting your own sites? As an example, WIX.com, Square Space, Webflow or Carrd - do you have an feelings on these companies or companies like them?

Thanks for taking my questions - GREATLY APPRECIATED!

1. Rocky Linux is a great replacement for people looking for a path forward from CentOS. My preference is for Debian when I am building servers, such as my web site, this forum, and my lab mostly because it’s a space I am very familiar with as I have been using Debian for over 20 years.
  2. I host https://lawrencesystems.com/ on Debian and Wordpress but I am willing to put in the work it takes to maintain the back end of the site, if you want to go that route YOU MUST have a plan to maintain it or it WILL BE hacked. Our https://cnwr.com/ is hosted on HubSpot because they (me included as management) did not want to deal with maintaining the site. I have not looked at other site hosting services so beyond that I don’t really have any opinion.
1 Like

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you! I greatly appreciate your responses. They are what I was expecting and I think help me make a decision very quickly. Thank you again!

1 Like