We have a grant that we can apply for that will enhance our technology for a small school. One area that is in need of an update is the school security camera system. I would also like to add a NAS for file syncing and backups, since now the main solution for the small staff has been to use Google Drive, USB drives, and our local drives.
It appears that I can do both of these using a Synology NAS with Cameras. We would like to replace a 4 camera SD DVR system with a 6-7 camera system.
- Which Synology NAS would you recommend for a staff of 6 (so file syncing and back up of 6 computers) and a 6-7 cameras attached to it?
- Are there certain brands of cameras that work best with Synology (We don’t need 4K cameras since SD cameras have served them well, but our DVR is starting to fail)?
- Will the cameras only record when there is movement with the Synology solution (they only need video recorded and stored when there are people coming into or out of the buildings)?
- I was hoping for this part of the grant that we could have a budget of around $2000-$3000, but I don’t know if that is in the ballpark for that kind of system. The current network is small, hooked up to the provider’s router and then network printers and access points hooked to simple switches. So no server rack or POE switches on the network.
- Is the Synology NAS with Cameras a good solution or is it better to look at different systems for those functions?
Thanks for your suggestions and input. Your suggestions will help formulate the specifics asked for by the grant.