Suggestions for best DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem/Router

I’m getting ready to cut the cable with my ISP (just my cable package, will keep the internet service). They have an option where you can use your own cable modem, which has to be atleast DOCSIS 3.0. I’m looking for everyone’s suggestions for the best DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem (with wireless router). I’ve done a little research (Googling) but I have a hard time trusting some of those “ranking” sites out there. I figured I’d just throw it out here and see what comes back.

I just switched to the Arris SurfBoard 8200. Way overkill for my 100 MBs service, but I plan on moving soon and hopefully getting a faster connection. The SurfBoard doesn’t have builtin wireless, but is very solid when paired with a pfSense firewall and Unifi access points.

1 Like

I was actually looking at the SB6190 the other day. Wondering if it’s worth the extra cost to bump to the 8200…

I still need to wire in an AP in my attic to umbrella the entire house (damn internet comes in the basement…)

Do you get FRITZ!Box models from AVM in the US at all? In Germany, they are among the favorite choices for consumer all-in-one routers. Their cable flagship model, the 6591, supports Docsis 3.1.
I’d personally never go back from my pfSense and Unifi combo to a consumer solution, but if I had to, I’d choose AVM. Their UI is rather modern compared to other routers I’ve seen out there and they pack tons of features. AVM also offers signal extenders that integrate with the router, so you only have to configure the WIFI once.

1 Like

If you plan on getting 600Mbps service or higher, then the SB8200 is the one you want, otherwise the SB6190 will do just fine. One thing to note about the SB8200, the second RJ45 port requires a 2nd IP from your ISP to work.

Since you need to add additional wireless anyway, may as well go with a dedicated access point.

1 Like

We ship exclusively the Motorola ones out to our employees. As long as it is DOCSIS 3.1 they all have worked. We also ship a dedicated firewall, switch and access point(s) to their house. We never do use the integrated products. Also for their houses we configure a VLAN for the family and then a VLAN for our equipment only. The firewalls are maintained by our NOC, we do not monitor the family VLAN, but we do monitor the one that has the VPN to the office closely.

1 Like