Suggestion needed on subnet/VLAN granularity

I am curious as why the printer should go in it’s own vlan as opposed to IOT ?

Initially I thought to put it on my main vlan, then realised “guests” might want to print. So I thought putting it on its own vlan would allow me to have finer control. Yes I could put it on the IoT vlan or the Guest vlan, but I generally do not allow my trusted vlans to access the untrusted vlans. I think the security risk is very low mind you.

The printer also allows wireless printing of some kind from a phone, I’ve not used it but probably another reason to have it on its own vlan perhaps.

1 Like

You could possibly fire up a print server and put it on whatever VLAN you need, and then restrict communication as needed. Of course the printer(s) need to support being “shared”.

I’ll have to either go through the pretty hard task of making a Archer C7 vlan aware on DD-WRT or buy a Unifify AP.

I have a Brother printer that is advertised as beeing USB/LAN/Wifi capable but as soon as I connect the LAN, it disables the Wifi interface.

Brother iPrint service on Android requires the printer to be on the same net that the phone itself. Here goes the printer on it’s own cabled vlan. No WLAN → no printing from any Android devices. I can make a guest network on the Archer but the one would have to swtich from private Wifi to guest Wifi in order to print with won’t pass my girlfriend approval.

I have read some forums on DD-WRT on how to make my AP vlan aware but jeez it’s quite a strain from where I stand.

Maybe the printer server would fix my problem in replacing Brother iPrint for a more generic printing service ?