Starting a New IT Services Business

Hello,

First, I want to say a huge thank you to Tom and his team. I’ve been watching your videos for several years now and have definitely grown a lot from it. After a lot of thought and research, I decided to try starting my own IT services business. At this point, I know the services I am offering to start as well as the services I would like to grow into in the near future… assuming there is a future for the business of course. However, I would appreciate some input regarding rates and billing.

I’ve watched most of Tom’s videos already and those have been instrumental. I was curious if anyone could share their experience regarding billing for drive time and increasing rates for after hours and weekend work. I see a lot of companies that do charge for both, but I am worried that might be detrimental to sales since I am just starting out. If it helps, my target clients are small businesses and larger residential dwellings such as apartments, duplexes, etc.

I would greatly appreciate any input on this topic!

1 Like

If you start out not charging for after hours and drive time it will be really hard to charge for it later. My suggestion is to charge for those right from the beginning.

7 Likes

May I ask how do you figure a rate for after hours and drive time? Do you just use a standard calculation like time and a-half? For drive time, do you calculate mileage? How have you found the best way to figure those rates?