Speed Issue...10Gig

Hello all, looking for some professional advice. Myself, I know my way around PC’s, but wouldn’t call myself an expert. In any event, here is the problem at hand. I am trying to do a network setup to transfer files between my personal pc and my network server (or nas if you prefer) at 10gbit speeds. I know I will never get a full 10gbit due to overhead, but to no avail I can’t even get close. Here is my current setups.

Personal PC

Windows 10 Pro
MSI Prestige x570 Motherboard (built in 10gbit card)
Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4 3200
MSI Gforce RTX 2070
1TB 970 Evo SSD

Server (NAS)

Unraid
ASUS ROG x470-F Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700
64GB DDR4 2666
Gforce GT710
6 WD Blue HD’s
250GB 970 EVO Cache Drive
ASUS XG-C110C 10G Network Card

Computers are current connected with Cat6e with the MikroTik in-between running in switch mode (The one Tom just reviewed on). I can connect just fine, no problems there, no delays, linking at 10G. (I’ve even tried fiber cards too).

Testing with iperf3 on the server, then start iperf3 on my pc, transfer speeds top out at around 1 to 1.7gbit. Even transferring files via explorer are very slow.

Here’s the kicker, If I boot my PC from a usb drive with Ubuntu for example (anything other than windows), I do the same thing with iperf, I can push 9.6gbit every time both ways. So IMPO that rules out my hardware and something I’m missing.

Go back to windows, speeds diminish. I have tried the mtu settings, autotuninglevel settings, Offloads off, firewalls off…nothing.

Hopefully someone has ran into this with a fix…any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Is the 10Gb connection the only one for both systems? Or is there a second 1Gb connection, or even wireless?

Just one connection. Both computers get internet from the MikroTik switch.

It sounds like it might be a driver issue in Windows. Make sure you have both of the LAN drivers installed from the MSI website.

Also, you have a x570 board not a x750.

Yip, checked all driver updates for windows. One thing though, I do not know how to tell if the latest driver is being used for the network card in the Unraid box.

Thanks for letting me know about the typo :slight_smile:

Are you using Windows update for drivers or the MSI website? Windows isn’t always reliable.
I don’t know anything about Unraid, but as long as all updates are applied you should be good.

Your unRaid box is likely fine, as you said you boot your client machine to linux, and you get appropriate speeds.

mouseskowitz, From the MSI website.

Manipulate, yip that’s where I’m stumped.

What kind of 10gb adapter is on your MSI board specifically?

Only thing coming to mind is to try another 10gb adapter in your client machine that uses a totally different driver in Windows. Not ideal as I’m sure you bought that board because of the 10gb NIC.

Yes I got that board because it had the 10gb built in. Kicking myself too cause I probably didn’t need to. And yes I did try a pcie card as well (fiber). The only other thing I can think of trying a different video card, I’m wondering if the video card is taking up all the bandwidth on the bus.

Iperf3 test the connection. Switching to 10g network I found my SSD/NVME drives were my bottleneck.
I run this same setup (not hardware) Unraid nas and windows desktop. Unraid is more of an archival nas
and an okay hypervisor (if you can only have one box). How are you copying/moving files? From windows to Unraid or Unraid to windows.

If copying from Windows to Unraid: Is cache drive enabled on that share. It can be on for off on a share by share bases. Also the cache is where all docker and VMs are stored and run from they will reduce speed of the cache drive.

If copying from Unraid to Windows: The cache is a temporary storage location. When the mover runs it moves all the files copied to shares to the actual hard drives. If you are copying from a hard drive you will only get that speed (about 80-110MB/s) as Unraid only writes to one drive at a time.

As for drivers check under the device manager and get the Manufacturer of the 10g nic and get drivers from them. Motherboard mfr dont always have the latest drivers for 3rd party hardware. If you feel comfortable doing so the NIC may need a firmware update.
My motherboard has the Aquantia AQtion NIC I got around 300-350MB/s copy I updated my firmware and drivers i get 650MB/s consistent thats the read speed of my desktop ssd <–bottleneck but Im fine with those speeds
also my Unraid cache drive is an Intel Optane 900p