Special case POE switch

Hi Folks,

I have a case where I have just one ethernet cable to a location that needs one POE connection and 1 non-POE connection. Since I’d rather not have an injector in this location, does anyone know of an unpowered switch that accepts a POE input and provides 1 POE output and one non-POE output?

Lots of brands that make 5-8 port ethernet switches have at least one model with POE-in and at least POE-out port. I know I’ve seen a netgear and a tp-link before. I don’t remember those models off the top of my head. If you are already in the Unifi ecosystem, I recommend the USW-Flex (note, not the USW-Flex-Mini, that lacks POE passthrough/out)

Maybe you are looking in the wrong direction, something like EAP235-Wall | Omada AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Wall Plate Access Point | TP-Link United Kingdom might be what you need. I’ve not used it myself but seems to fit the bill.

That’s a fair thought too, every brand of SMB and enterprise APs has a wall-plate model, usually with a POE passthrough port, for use such as a phone in a hotel room (but obviously flexible within whatever wattage limits are present).

Thanks @neogrid. Interesting idea. However, I already own the UniFi WiFi 6 Lite access point. What I need is that device without the access point.

Unifi USW Flex, not flex mini, is exactly what you need. Just make sure the POE in has enough power to power the flex AND the devices(s) connected to the flex. The data sheet lists power consumed by the flex.

Thanks all for your ideas. I haven’t seen any single device yet that fits the bill, including the Unifi USW Flex. The best I’ve been able to come up with is a Poe extender combined with a Poe splitter.

How about this solution:

I feel like I might be missing something. I need at least one non-poe output port. I don’t see that on this device.

Why do you specifically need a non-POE port? Anything that is 802.3af/at/bt compliant will only output power when a suitable load is detected (via a special arrangement of resistors and capacitors). That’s why its called Active POE.

Thank you. The active vs passive POE is what I did not understand. I’ve now studied the difference. I agree that I only need an Active POE extender. Simple! Yep, I’m a noob WRT network equipment.

I recently used the CentroPower 5-port switch to do similar. It’s super light and can be used indoor or out. They actually have a 2-port version. In my case I was powering both a ceiling-mounted AP and a VOIP phone on the wall. I zip-tied the switch above the ceiling tiles. The switch ports are active POE, so you can plug non POE devices in as well as ones that need active power, and the switch itself is powered by a PASSIVE power supply. Here are the links:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQ5PCY3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMCN87B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here’s what arrived today. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F2RL2BQ?psc=1

It should work, but I’ll post again with the results.