[SOLVED] Slow Internet speeds new Proxmox + Pfsense install

Hello there!

I just changed my HP EliteDesk 805 G6 AMD Ryzen 5 for a HP Pro Mini Intel Core i7 and am experiencing VERY slow internet speeds.

I have a 2.5GbE Intel i225-V FlexIO NIC card as my WAN and a Realtek 2.5Gbe USB Ethernet adapter as my LAN.

I was getting 1.38Gbps Internet speeds when I was using the same FlexIO NIC and Realtek USB to ethernet adapter on the HP EliteDesk (AMD) but since I moved over to the HP Pro Mini the internet has been capped at 210-230Mbps.

Pretty disappointed as the HP Pro Mini is suppose to be newer and better than the older HP EliteDesk I had… I even moved over my pfSense + license over to the new unit!

Not too sure what I can post to better assist. :frowning:

This is a fresh install of proxmox and a fresh pfsense plus (latest) install. Same results with and without packages installed (pfblockerNG, WireGuard, etc), wired and wireless.

Could it be a driver issue or some kind of setting that needs to be ticked for newer 12th gen Processors? I already have hardware offloading disabled in pfsense…

I’m completely at a loss.

Thank you for the help!

Any time pfsense is used as a VM the potential issues and weirdness goes up. It’s not recommended to virtualize pfsense, but you could check you installation from their documentation on how it should be set up.
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/recipes/virtualize-proxmox-ve.html

You said you disabled hardware offload in pfsense, but usually you do it on the hypervisor itself, unless that is what you meant. I have not done it on proxmox but on xcp-ng it was just a few commands. It has been rock solid for me on xcp-ng and even MS Hyper-V. So I’m sure you can make it work.

Thank you all for your replies!

I tested the HP 2.5GbE Ethernet FlexIO card into another HP Pro Mini 400 G9 with same processor and Windows 11 installed and get the 1.20Gbps+ speeds on fast.com and speedtest. If I plug in my Realtek 2.5GbE USB ethernet adapter, I get the same 1.20Gbps+ on the speed tests.

As soon as I plug everything back into my Proxmox/PfSense HP Pro mini, I get the same 220-300Mbps no matter if connected directly or wireless.

Would it be something in the BIOS that I would need to disable? Maybe intel proxmox installs handle Ethernet adapters differently?

This unit comes with a built in HP Wolf Security, maybe that might be another reason?

TIA

I FOUND A SOLUTION!

This is what I did to get both of my NICs to get the speeds I was getting:

• Edit /etc/default/grub
  • Add pcie_port_pm=off pcie_aspm.policy=performance to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
  • Double check file - cat /etc/defualt/grub
  • Run sudo update-grub
  • Reboot (Important!)
  • Check params from boot cat /proc/cmdline
1 Like