Slowly backup with XOA and NFS

Hello and welcome,

Please help me with the following problem that I can’t solve.
I have 3 xen server 7.2 servers in a pool connected by a common ISCSI storage. Everything is managed by XOA. The management ports are connected on 1 Gb cards and the iscsi on 10 Gb cards. The problem is that the backup of virtual machines takes a long time and is slow. Average transfer on nfs (raid 10 combined 10Gb) is done at 25 MB/s. which is terribly slow for me. What should I do, how to configure xoa or xen server differently to speed up the backup of virtual machines.
Thanks in advance for your help. ISCSI (raid 10 sas 10k)

best regards
Chris

The backups go through the XO instance so make sure using a tool such as iperf3 it can talk at the full 10G. The next limitation is the speed of the source drives and the NFS storage target & the CPU speed of the host systems. I get 45-60 MiB/s with a fully 10G storage network (we don’t have any 1G links) network running on my AMD Ryzen 9 5900X systems.

Also depends how fast you array is. If its flash then it might do better. If you set your array up in a 1+0 (mirrors and stripped across multiple mirrors) then performance will be higher. But if you have spinning rust (HDD’s) in a raid 6 then it wont be that great. if you use something like TrueNAS you can install a high performance optane drive as a write cache.

Hi!!! :smiley:
Speed up backup of virtual machines by: upgrading network cards to 10 Gb; optimizing NFS configuration; using multiple streams; compressing data before transfer; considering alternative backup methods. Test changes in non-production environment.