Single NIC pfSense

Would like to see a video with single NIC pfSense going into a managed router on port 1 (LAN) and WAN (port 2). Would like to see if that will cause any bottlenecks ???

The speed would be limited due to WAN/LAN being shared on the same interface and I can’t think of any good reason to spend the time making a video on that topic.

Router on a Stick Router on a stick - Wikipedia

I made this video already,

Hey Tom

not everyone is using a 1Gb internet plan…
we are content with a 100-200 Mbps plan and would like to have a Tom perspective towards single NIC PFsense + managed switch tutorial

Even with a slow connection I can’t think of any good reason to spend the time making a video on that topic. Networks card are cheap and it’s less complex using at least 2.

Single NIC (router on a stick) requires a switch that can handle vlans. So unless you already have that switch, you will spend less on a NIC with 2 or more ports.

Add to that vlan hopping attacks, and your attacker is already on your private network. In my opinion, firewalls should be separate physical connections and separate physical devices. It is the first line of defense, do you really want it sharing anything with the rest of your network?

If you just need to route from one private physical or vlan network to another private network or vlan, then router on a stick can be OK as long as you understand you are sharing the bandwidth.