Should I still buy an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X in 2022?

So the question is very simple, would you still recommend Edgerouter X in 2022 for a simple home setup?

I was thinking of using it at my brothers house. He has a 100/20Mb FTTH and has 3 computers, 2 smartphones, 1 smart TV and a bunch of IOT devices.

Is this the right router to go with, or would you recommend something else?

I would recommend a pfsense system.

3 Likes

The ER-X’s price point is hard to beat. They just tend to be flaky. I have several dozens of them in my network, but we are replacing them with MikroTiks.

• pfSense makes some nice little desktop routers, too.

Tom, I know that pfSense is your go to choice for routers/firewalls, but this really ups the price 3 times.
Unless if you know of a pfSense capable device that i can get for around 50€?

Ponch, since the ER-X is sold out in EU I just might have to find something else. May I ask which MikroTiks are you using to replace ER-X?

If you go the Mikrotik route, don’t buy the cheapest ones, and do your research before getting into them. When it comes to configuration, you get a very raw tool and it is up to you to configure almost every aspect by hand. If you like that, then you’ll be in heaven. If you just want a simple router and don’t want to waste too much time fiddling with it, consider the TP-Link TL-R605 or even the TL-ER7206.

josep, I just found the TL-R605 over the weekend and I wanted to buy it, but then I saw that there are two versions available V1 and V2. The V2 has an additional USB port that you can use to plug in a compatible 4G/LTE dongle and use that for a failover WAN connection.

But I don’t see the V2 in any of the online stores yet, so not sure when it will actually be available for purchase.

Yeah, I’ve been through this as well. Can’t help you there. I have also had trouble because my distributors don’t tag the products that clearly, and sometimes you have to think: “life is like a box of chocolates” :roll_eyes:

With All the supply chain shortages in general good luck finding anything New in stock. The problem is real in Europe/UK. I have so much equipment on back order it’s getting rather scary.

We have been building out own pfSense boxes, Pulling stuff off shelves and re-using retired kit.

As far as OG question how are you doing your WiFi element ? The ER-X is ok but as stated pretty sure UBNT are slowly drawing a line underneath them albeit slowly.

I have ordered TL-R605 V1 today and I hope it will do the job.

For WiFi, it will be one U6-Lite with the network controller on a RasPI - it’s a leftover from some project few years back.

I’m sure all will be fine, As a router it should do the job.

1 Like

Since you bought an EAP router why don’t you also buy an EAP610 (per example) AP?

The EAP610 is so ugly and bulky that my wife would kick me out of the house.
I was hoping that TP-Link will release EAP650 sooner, but no lock, so I ended up with U6 Lite.

I might replace the U6 once the EAP650 becomes available…

You are right :+1:
I thought the EAP610 was only 160mmX160mm instead of 243mm…

Edit: the V2 version is only 160mm like the u6 lite.

How did the TL-R605 work out?

Have you ever used an ER-X? If so, how do they compare?

Does the TL-R605 support vlans for the IoT devices?

There was at least one uncomplimentary post on the TP-Link site from an ER-X user that bought a TL-R605 and was dissappointed and sent it back. But it is hard to say how unbiased that was. A TP-Link TL-R605 user going to an ER-X may feel the same way.

I have an er-x. It works but it’s not even close to a pfSense box. You can take almost any old pc and turn it into a pfSense box on the cheap and have it do more than an er-x. My ER-X is configured as switch (in the closet, as a backup, if needed).

I know this is 6 months old but I have an er-x. It works but it’s not even close to a pfSense box. You can take almost any old pc and turn it into a pfSense box on the cheap and have it do more than an er-x. My ER-X is configured as switch (in the closet, as a backup, if needed).

The TP-Link TL-R605 V1 is garbage. The basic functions that should just work, do not work on this router, so I really don’t recommend it. Support even confirmed a bug in the SW but after more than 6 months, still no fix.

You can read more about this here:

I should have just listened to Tom in the first place and gone with pfSense.
Went with a Futro S920 and it just works :slight_smile:
Futro S920 is a realy great and cheap box. See here for more info

1 Like

If you are in Europe, that’s probably a good option. Looks like the ones on Ebay are all sourced in Germany, and the shipping kills the deal.

In US you can get cheap HP T620+ or T730+ that also make great pfsense boxes.