SG-3100 VLAN Throughput

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum. I’m curious if anyone else has encountered this with the SG-3100 or other routers/firewalls where VLAN throughput is measurably less than when using a native interface.

I recently upgraded my Xfinity internet to their 1 Gbps / 35 Mbps plan, and after some troubleshooting realized that when coming from a VLAN interface, the download topped out around 800Mbps. If I came in from a native LAN network of the SG-3100, I got 940 Mbps. The results are very repeatable.

Here are some key details.

1. I tested this on 2.4.5_1, and on a completely fresh install of 21.02-p1. I even simplified and recreated my firewall rules from scratch.
  2. I have 6 VLANs defined in pfSense and in Unifi.
  3. No packages installed, after the fresh install.
  4. No traffic shaping.
  5. The SG-3100 is attached to a Unifi US-24-G1 switch. I can reproduce the drop in speed by switching the switch port from the native LAN profile to a VLAN profile.
  6. I tested internet throughput using multiple speedtest sites, but mostly using the Ookla SpeedTest app on Windows.
  7. I’ve tested inter-VLAN throughput using iperf3, and I consistently get around 770 Mbps (close to my internet speed tests).
  8. I’ve tested from multiple computers.
  9. While performing the speed tests, I’ll see the SG-3100’s CPU hit 50ish%, so I don’t think it’s a CPU bottleneck there.
  10. I have since switched to running pfSense 2.5 on a spare desktop with a 4th gen i5 and a quad port Intel NIC, where I get my full internet and inter-VLAN speeds. So this proves it’s not a Unifi switch bottleneck.

I’m curious what other’s thoughts are on this. Am I missing something? Or is it already known that the SG-3100 can’t do full gig speed over VLANs? I didn’t realize VLANs could introduce that much of a penalty on throughput.

Realistically, the 800 Mbps I’m getting is more than I need, but seeing a bottleneck there is frustrating. I’m thinking of jumping up to the SG-5100, but I would hate to buy it and see that it also can’t do full line speed over VLANs.

Appreciate any insights.

That speed sounds about right, it’s not quite but almost line speed.