Setting up VLAN with a Web Server in System

Hi Tom enjoyed your videos. I would love to see some hands on how to set up settings type of thing. Anyway. I currently have a home network running a Cisco Router RV260W. Default gateway of 192.168.123.254. The last Ubiquiti equipment I had fooled with was doing multi-point access in a Wireless Internet service provider type situation on 900 mhz. So I haven’t keep up with Ubiquiti and was quite impressed with their recent offerings. With that in mind here is what I would like to do. I want to setup 4 VLANS, 1 for my server which is on ip address 192.168.123.104. 2. I want a VLAN for my IoT stuff. 3. A VLAN for my regular Internet surfing and office work. and a VLAN for running guest WIFI. Where to start. I currently have Ubiquiti wise, 3 of the Ubiquiti 5 port switches, a Cloud Key Gen 2. an 8 port Ubiquiti switch 60 watt version. I also have an EdgeRouter X, although I don’t know if it would replace the Cisco or not. I am forwarding several ports to the 192.168.123.104 address for my webserver. I just need some advice on equipment, ip addresses to setup and setting up the VLANS. I tried setting up the VLANS in my cisco router but I couldn’t get internet to the VLANS I setup any help appreciated.

While I don’t have any of the kit you mention, I’d imagine that Unifi have documented how to set up a vlan on their routers and switches, same with Cisco.

If not, buy a netgear switch, it’s not difficult to setup vlans, they have documented the process. If you couple that with a box running pfsense, then it’s pretty easy, again well documented on Netgate’s site.

Not clear on the ask, you can do VLANs with that equipment but I don’t plan on making Edgerouter or Cisco tutorial at this time. But I do have them for UniFi and pfsense https://youtu.be/b2w1Ywt081o

Tom I am honored that you answered my post. So do I now have to go buy a Pfsense to be able to set this up? Right now what I have is the cisco router Internet coming directly to it. My default gate way is 192.168.123.254 subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. When I set the VLANS up is the fact that the default gateway is set to 192.168.123.254 going to keep my VLAN say I set at 192.168.100.1 from working and getting internet. I really only need one address to work out of the 192.168.123.254 area and that is my WebServer mikealrhughes.com or 192.168.123.104 on the local network. I am port forwarding ports 8080 and 8083 to the Server.
The VLANS I wanted to do were
VLAN 50 - 192.168.50.1
VLAN 100 - 192.168.100.1
VLAN 200 - 192.168.200.1
Would I have to setup a VLAN for the Webserver that is already on 192.168.123.104 to keep anything from the other VLANs from getting into it? The last time I did any subnetting was on my Network + exam about 8 years ago.
Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Mikeal R. Hughes, D.Min., Th.D., Ph.D.
Comptia A+ and Network +

That’s hard to follow …
Sounds like you have a web server on your LAN, while your vlans are missing outbound NAT if they can’t get to the internet. Not sure what the best practice is for mixing LANs and vLANS are, but personally I just keep the default LAN but don’t use it.
If you solve your vlan problem, then it’s probably easiest to stick your web server on it’s own new vlan, it will be isolated from the rest depending on your rules.

I understand the hard to follow don’t have access to all the icons to draw it up. If I could get the icons would try. The Webserver is static to 192.168.123.104 through Ubuntu server running the web server and the port forwarding through the Cisco router. I have a Ubiquiti 24 port gen2 switch coming that might help me as well. I’m trying to isolate all of my internet activity IoT, our wifi / house lan and guest WIFI from the Web Server. - Dr. Mike Hughes, Ph.D.