Setting up Dataset in TrueNAS Core for Proxmox VM and CT Storage?

(I realize my current TrueNAS Core build is not ideal for VM storage–they should be on NVME drives and I don’t have enough of those to use, for one.)

I’m running a test TrueNAS Core install (my first TrueNAS Core install) on a Dell Optiplex 5040 with 4x1.92 TB enterprise SATA SSDs for storage, in a single pool with two mirror VDEVs. Aside from creating it and making sure ashift was set to 12 (the GUI doesn’t let you tweak this, so I was relying on it to be automatic), I haven’t tweaked the settings of the data storage pool in any way yet.

Aside from setting recordize and volblocksize attributes as necessary in my VM and CT storage datasets, are there any other attributes I need to change for remote Proxmox nodes on my LAN to use this storage? My goal is to set up the datasets, share them out to Proxmox, and not have to worry about tweaking them again. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. I’ve previously been using NFS on other nodes for accessing my backup server and the ISO storage on my QNAP, but I’m open to using CIFS if it would work better with TrueNAS Core.
  2. There are some things that I’d like to use iSCSI for, as well.
  3. There are also some settings used in Core that I don’t recognize from Proxmox/ZFS on Linux. The boot pool and my storage pool both use an acltype of NFSv4, which I had never heard of before. I’m not sure if I need to change that if I’m going to use NFS and CIFS, or what impact it has on iSCSI.
  4. In addition to the above, is there anything else I need to tweak?

Thanks!

Make sure you have sync disabled on the datasets to get better write performance… Yes there are risk and I cover that in this video:

1 Like

Thanks, Tom. This video is just what I needed. :slight_smile:

I still haven’t gotten this done. My Proxmox servers are still mostly for hobby use (I suppose teh Unifi controller counts as production), and the last month has been full of … events.

I’m hoping to try setting this up this week. I need to watch the video again, but my understanding is that the main risk without sync enabled is the potential for data loss in the event of a power outage or drive/controller failure, correct? I’ve got a UPS and will have confidence in the hardware I have until (1) something fails or (2) I can get better hardware, so I think I’m good to go.

Setting up datasets in TrueNAS Core for Proxmox VM and CT storage involves several considerations to ensure optimal performance and compatibility. Here’s a step-by-step guide:

1. Dataset Creation:
  • Create datasets within your storage pool for VM and CT storage. Use separate datasets for better organization and management.
  • Ensure that the datasets are created with appropriate properties such as recordsize and volblocksize. For VM storage, a smaller record size (e.g., 4KB) is usually recommended for better performance.
  1. Sharing Protocols:
  • Decide on the sharing protocol based on your requirements and compatibility with Proxmox. Both NFS and CIFS/SMB are supported by TrueNAS Core.
  • For VM and CT storage, NFS is commonly used due to its simplicity and performance. However, CIFS/SMB can also be used if required.
  1. iSCSI Configuration (Optional):
  • If you plan to use iSCSI for certain applications, you can configure iSCSI targets in TrueNAS Core and connect them to your Proxmox nodes as block-level storage.
  1. Network Configuration:
  • Ensure proper network connectivity between TrueNAS Core and Proxmox nodes. Use dedicated VLANs or network segments for storage traffic if possible to improve performance and security.
  1. Access Control Lists (ACLs):
  • Review and adjust ACL settings as necessary. The default NFSv4 ACL type may be suitable for most scenarios but ensure it aligns with your network environment and requirements.
  1. Performance Optimization:
  • Monitor storage performance and adjust settings as needed. You may need to fine-tune parameters such as compression, deduplication, and caching based on workload characteristics.
  1. Backup and Disaster Recovery:
  • Implement backup and disaster recovery strategies for your VM and CT data stored on TrueNAS Core. Regular backups are crucial for data protection and resilience.
  1. Documentation and Testing:
  • Document your configuration and setup for future reference. Test the storage setup with Proxmox VMs and CTs to ensure compatibility and performance meet your expectations.

By following these steps and considering the specific requirements of your environment, you can set up datasets in TrueNAS Core for Proxmox VM and CT storage effectively.