Separate WAN and LAN Routers

Hello All,

Longtime YouTube viewer, brand new forum user. Apologies if my questions are n00bish or just plain stupid. Multi-tiered architecture design is completely new to me.

I’ve been searching for information around a two router setup for better DMZ management and I have hit something of a wall from a practical standpoint. I understand the concept of using an edge-of-network WAN router to control the DMZ and a separate LAN router to further secure personal machines, but I’m having trouble grasping how I do that.

First and foremost, my concern is double NAT. I know I can disable NAT entirely, but if I know anything about networking it’s probably only one of many things I need to do. I have some vague notions about using a static route to point to the upstream WAN router, or to use a gateway definition (?) but I’m otherwise clueless.

This diagram captures generally what I’m looking for…

• WHY do I want to do this?
    – Practice, and the advantage of using distinct physical devices/software to manage the devices that should be publicly accessible, and the devices that shouldn’t. This is just generally good practice from what I understand. If a vendor-provided software like pfsense is exploited (unlikely, but possible) at the DMZ level, the chances of the same exploit being present in a lower-level router are pretty high.

• HOW do I want to do this?
    – I have a dedicated physical router with OPNSense I would like to use as my WAN router
    – I currently use a virtualized PfSense router for pretty much everything, including my various VLANs, firewall policies, etc. I want to have this machine only handle my internal machines, and to point their traffic up the chain to the WAN router
    – This virtual machine runs on the same physical hypervisor as my access bastion (basically useless security at that point if the hypervisor were ever compromised)
    – I’d like the WAN router to handle traffic to/from the DMZ, to contain the port-forwarding rules needed to access them, and to keep LAN traffic completely separate from the DMZ

Any and all help is appreciated and thank you ahead of time

Edit 1
My WAN Is a single public IP. This is for a homelab setup and learning purposes only.

My logic on this matter is that any protocol/application which can’t handle double NAT is probably something that should be in the DMZ - because that is also a protocol/application which needs either UPnP or manual port forwarding (can’t handle a single layer of NAT without having a hole opened for it).
I suspect in practice many companies that set this up do 1:1 NAT of a second public IP through the WAN router to the LAN router. This still allows whatever firewall inspection/rules you want to happen on the WAN router to effect the LAN router.
Another option is to disable NAT on the LAN router. Assuming the firewall rules are secure against connections initiated from the DMZ side (only allow established or related packets) then NAT isn’t adding any meaningful protection.

I’ve done this 2 ways in the past:

1. Multiple registered subnets - 1 for the connection to the ISP and 1 for the DMZ. As both of these are registered IP address ranges, they are both accessible via the internet so you don’t have to worry about NAT, but you do need to have a real ISP connection and you end up running BGP and therefore, you need to know Autonomous System number and BGP routing works.
  2. Layer 2 firewall on the IDMZ/ISP side. Not sure if pfSense or OpenSense can do this or not. I’ve only done Layer 2 firewalls on Juniper SRX gear.

Both of these are in enterprise environments for a fortune 50 company so they had multiple registered IPv4 class B and class C subnets to use.

Not sure this helps or not. Sorry.
John.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The WAN router is a single public IP. This is for a homelab setup, not for anything official. I’m learning networking concepts in my off hours and I think establishing a DMZ subnet to which I can port forward would be useful for security and learning purposes.