SEO Vs. Business

In our market, SEO is extremely important with attracting clients and retaining clients.
I’ve been working on rebuilding my website and brand to make finding my business easier for a new potential client.
In my retail store, I offer phone, computer and game console repairs, but I also offer structured cabling, networking, security camera installs, remote support and on-site support (Will be working on adding MSP to my arsenal in early 2019).
What are all your suggestions/opinions on what should be displayed on your website vs what shouldn’t be displayed?
Also, are there any recommendations on how/who to hire on writing and rewriting content for my website. If any of you on this forum does that, let me know, I would like to definitely hire someone from the Lawrence Systems group to help me better my online presence.

Hi Jim,

I actually do website/blog content writing. With respect to SEO, I find the simplest approach is to identify no more than 4 or 5 key services and build a separate content page (between 400 and 600 words) around each one. Each page should identify a specific geographic area, e.g. “Detroit security camera installations.”

But it’s important not to go nuts. I’ve been tasked by some big SEO outfits to do 20-30 pages for a given business, each one micro-targeting a specific neighborhood. This just makes the website cluttered in my experience, and I doubt it actually works as far as SEO is concerned.

Skip

2 Likes

I have a total of 14 pages on my website. I have started working on putting different services in their own pages to make it easier for searching. But I just have a hard time writing good quality content for each individual service.

When I write a content page for a client, I generally break it down into three sections:

1. Identifying the customer’s problem.
  2. Describing the services you can provide to solve that problem.
  3. A “call to action” inviting the customer to contact you.

Most of my clients are law firms, so for the first section, I start by identifying a common scenario that might prompt a call to that lawyer. I’ll use a bankruptcy attorney as an example:

“Each year, approximately 800,000 Americans file for bankruptcy protection. Many people view bankruptcy as a sign of personal failure. But bankruptcy is actually about giving honest debtors a fresh start free of crippling debts…”

It’s always better to make the scenario as specific as possible to your audience. So if I was writing an actual post for, say, a bankruptcy lawyer in Detroit, I would research the stats for bankruptcy filings in Michigan rather than citing the national figure.

In the second section, I would then describe the types of bankruptcy services provided. I tend to prefer bullet points here, as it helps break up the copy. So for my hypothetical bankruptcy lawyer I would use one bullet point for each type of bankruptcy service offered (e.g., Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 13, etc.)

For the final call to action, I would provide contact information for the lawyer and mention any particular introductory services available, such as a free initial consultation. You can also list more specific towns and cities within the overall service area. Sometimes I would also include a short list of suburbs or surrounding areas covered by the firm, e.g. “Call us today if you live in Detroit, Pontiac, or Auburn Hills, and need to speak with an attorney right away.”