Self hosted Evernote alternative

Since Evernote restricted the number of devices able to access an account it have not used it often. For the most part I have replaced it with DS Note/ Note Station on my Synology NAS. I am wondering what self hosted open source alternative might be a better option. I know it’s subjective, but I am curious what experience or opinions you might have on the topic.
I like my current solution, but realize it’s platform specific and I may not always have a Synology.

I am going to be standing up Joplin today to evaluate it as a replacement for Evernote. It seems to be the closest experience I have tried so far. My wife has it loaded in a stand alone configuration on her windows machine, and like it.

2 Likes

I agree with @Louie1961. I would recommend Joplin.

2 Likes

I migrated from OneNote to Joplin about 2 years ago and am very happy. I host the WebDAV for it on my NextCloud server. It can do mathematical formula representation using a plugin which was my main concern with moving from OneNote. Markdown is pretty simple to learn. You can even sync it with a phone app which comes in handy all the time for me.

1 Like

Another vouch for Joplin. It’s awesome, has great plugins, supports encrypted notes out of the box and does synchronization to a lot of backend services. Has clients for Windows, Linux and Android, and possibly others but those I’m using.

One word of caution through: don’t use the Joplin server as a backend as your daily driver, it’s not yet ready for prime time.

2 Likes

I used Joplin for a while, it’s not bad. But once I started using https://logseq.com/ which is not just note taking, but journaling. Logseq helped me turn daily information gathering from a mess into structured information.

I don’t have any tutorials I have done on it yet, but there are some on YouTube as well as their community forums.

https://www.reddit.com/r/logseq/

3 Likes

I switched from evernote a while ago and have been using Obsidian. One of my requirements was decent table support. At the time, Joplin did not have very good table support. Does logseq support tables and how well?

Yes they are supported, but I would not say well. But I don’t use them much.

1 Like

My 2000+ notes were exported from Evernote and imported to Joplin recently. Has been happy using it for a few weeks before my Evernote will be due for renewal and termination in the coming Jun.

1 Like