Samba shares on Ubuntu for backups

Wasn’t sure which category to put this under… Anyway, I’ve got an Ubuntu box setup with a samba share on it and a user created and I can connect to it using my laptop (Which is not connected to a domain. This will come into play in a moment). I also have a server running windows server 2012 r2 that I am using SolarWinds backup to do offsite backup of and I wanted to use the samba share to send a local backup to using the LocalSpeedVault option they give in their software.

The issue I’m having is when I try to either connect from the server or in the software, it won’t take the username and password that I set up for the share. I was thinking maybe it’s an issue with SolarWinds backup but I can’t connect directly from the server either. I can browse to the IP and hostname of the Ubuntu box and see the file share but can’t successfully authenticate.

We have something similar setup on other servers using the same SolarWinds backup but have Synology NAS’ there instead and they connect up no problem at all.

Does anyone have some thoughts? I’m thinking I may just be missing something that needs to be set on the samba side of things or the auth in windows server maybe? I can get some more detail if some of this doesn’t make much sense, haha!

Check and post the samba logs so we can see the error message.

That would probably help a lot hahaha :man_facepalming:

I’ll grab them and get them posted

So I was getting some weird user errors yesterday but today the logs show this…

[2019/05/23 09:56:50.589139, 0] …/source3/param/loadparm.c:3331(process_usershare_file)
process_usershare_file: share name .* contains invalid characters (any of %<>*?|/+=;:",)

but the share name doesn’t have any of those characters in it. No spaces or anything

I am not familar with the SolarWinds product, but have you tried specifying the domain when you attempt to authenticate? eg. “ipaddressOfSambaServer\SambaUSERNAME” in the username field. I know some products have this restriction

1 Like

Yep. Tried it like that. As well as a variation of others.

Something a little more strange, I CAN connect to the share from a windows 10 pc on the same network. Tried again after a reboot of the ubuntu box just to be sure and I’m getting the same error in the logs when a connection from the server is initiated.

Welp. Got it figured out I think. Ended up having to add ntlm auth = yes to the samaba config file. After that, it connected right up.