Rogue SSID being broadcast

Greetings, I have discovered a rogue (old) SSID being broadcast in my network and I cannot find it anywhere. Unifi or Advanced IPS. It is from the previous owners of my business. Would anyone have a suggestion as to how to find this device and disable it? I verified my provider (spectrum) is not broadcasting it.

1. Hold the laptop close to the body at stomach level. This will ensure that your body weakens part of the WiFi signal.
  2. Use a WiFi scanner to identify the rogue APs BSSID and track its WiFi signal.
  3. Stand in one specific direction long enough to note the exact WiFi signal.
  4. From the same spot, turn 90 degrees and note the exact WiFi signal.
    Repeat this step until you have found the direction with the strongest WiFi signal.
  5. Move 20 steps in that direction and repeat steps 3-5.
  6. This process is repeated until you have determined the WiFi signal is not getting any stronger.
  7. Once you have found the area with the strongest WiFi signal, simply look for the device! If you cannot find it in the immediate area, you might be looking for it on the wrong floor. Go to the floor above or below in the same spot, again looking for the strongest WiFi signal.
1 Like

Also, if the site has drop ceilings it may be in there. Yes, find where you get the strongest signal and go from there.

1 Like

As others have said, use the WiFi signal strength to track down where the access point might be.

The WiFiMan app Ubiquiti makes is very handy for this, more than once I’ve used it to track down specific APs.

Yes, more than once I’ve found APs left sitting on top of drop ceiling or resting on ceiling struts without being properly mounted. People do all sorts of weird stuff.