Question / Video suggestion : pfsense OpenVPN using Layer 2

Hi there!

I am currently using an OpenVPN server in tap mode (Layer 2) to connect a DVR which is installed at my friend’s house. The link to the DVR is made on a Windows computer by a bridge between the OpenVPN adapter and another physical network port. Thus, the DVR believes itself in my home network.

I would like to change my installation at my friend’s house to install a pfsense firewall that would act as a VPN client for my DVR. However, I don’t see how to get there by keeping my current configuration (Layer 2). I only see topics concerning peer-to-peer which is in layer 3.

Does anyone know how to configure pfsense as a VPN client of my main pfsense which is at home, while allowing multicast traffic? If there is a way to make an OpenVpn Layer 2 link (in peer-to-peer mode), it might be worth having a video! I suggest that, never know! :smiley:

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Sam

Kinda difficult to follow your set-up.

Why not set up a site-to-site openVPN connection between the two locations then it’s pretty easy to connect devices.

Sorry for the delay,

Yes I could to that only if it is possible to use it with the Layer 2 because my devices need to communicate with multicast protocols. Is it possible to do it?

Thank you

You can set the Device Mode to either TUN or TAP on both OpenVPN clients and servers in PfSense so I would guess you can achieve your goal. I’ve only used TUN so can’t confirm it personally it might require some trial and error.

Yes, I’ll see what I can do… Prensently, I’m trying the TAP mode in remote access SSL/TLS + Auth., but I’m having some trouble with the multicasts transmissions.

I’ll give the solution here once I’ll be able to set up it.