Question about Wifi hacking tools

Hi all :slight_smile:

Some background… in the early 90’s in the beginning of internet as we know it. i did some non-ethical hacking in my youth and the police nocked on my shoulder and i learned my lesson. LOL :smiley:
Back then hacking was easy as encryption and firewalls was a joke if they even existed so it was almost like browsing your own network…
anyway i started working with computers and network infrastructure in the 00’s so i know my network so to speak. Five years ago i started to learn linux, i will not say i know Linux but I’m okay on it.
almost a year ago i started to look in to cyber security a bit now and then on my free time and ethical hacking to learn something new as i was bored… that was only on the lan/ethernet side…
a week ago i started to look in on the wifi side… and here is my question to you all.

I have set up a lab wifi with some IoT devices and i have put them on a hidden network… I can easy find the hidden ssid and the router… But i cant find the IoT devices if I’m not connected to the ssid…
what tools/software/programs can detect and if possible even identify my IoT devices so i can search for exploits?

I’m using Kali as most beginners do… and i have found an old router and some old devices on my shelf that is around 15years old so i have a chance of beginner success. LOL :smiley:

Edit.
Yes my wifi card can do monitor mode, if someone wonder about the hardware. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting hobby, please keep us posted on what you learn.

Having worked with computers since the late 90’s its start to become hard to find new things that inspires me, so to speak. *lol’
I did worked on the wifi hacking for two days a couple of hours each day and found some 90’s feeling tools in Kali … (Terminal programs so to speak)… i call them 90’s programs as MS-DOS was the thing back then before win2000 started to change the world into a GUI world after the millennium :slight_smile:
Dont take me wrong, the terminal and powershell is really powerful tools… but it looks like something the cat dragged in from the 90’s :smiley: ‘LOL’

as i do this a bit now and then when i get the time over for it and have the right mood to spend my free time at the computer… it might take a long time between the updates though :slight_smile: