[Q] Custom 12slot NAS Home use

Hello to all,
I would like to ask about a product I’m interested on purchases. I’m building my private NAS and I will need to buy 12 HDDs.
I’m between WD Red Pro and Seagate Ironwolf Pro.

My system is
Current OS WS2012R2
Cpu Intel xenon e3-1225 v2
Motherboard supermicro x9sca-f
Ram Kingston 32gb kvr16e11k4/32
Psu corsair 650w
Raid controller 3ware 9650se-12ml
And
12 slots HDD hot swap.

Anyone any recommendation for this build regarding the hard drives?
Aiming for 8,10 or 12 TB each HDD.

Thank you in advance!

I have not used them, but Serve The Home did a review and build with this case

Hello Tom,

thank you for this!
I forgot to mention that I have already a case (MS-Tech CA-0210) and the HDD slots (sharkoon sata quickport intern 3-bay).
What i am looking for is information for the HDDs

You might want to read some of the earlier posts if you intend to use a RAID array, related to The SMR Drive Discussion and companies are responding might want to make sure your HDDs can do what you want them to do !

1 Like

Hi Neogrid,

yes I saw that!

Not even the WD Red Pro have SMR!!!
So for me which I want 12HDDs that I needed to go WD Red Pro I cant… :man_facepalming:

I guess time to check Seagate ironwolf pro and/or HSGT…
checking

1 Like

Personally I shuck Lacie 8TBs, these are seagates anyway, though I have 2 backups of my main NAS that’s 24 drives in total, I don’t bother with RAID, whatever you do it’ll be expensive.

Perhaps one thing to consider is whether it is better to have 5400 or 7200, pricewise there is a difference but in real terms for me, I can’t say I have noticed for my needs.

yeah on ironwolf pro also I dont see smr and on the hsgt the top top of the line have smr.

Indeed I was able to find those ones 5400 though. Yes you are correct the budget for the HDDs only it would be around 3k (ouch)
Probably I can wait few more months to see what the companies will release. :disappointed:

Hmm
I think I got confused…
The problem with the CMRs were that when they are 90% full and you need to rebuild them they are extremely slow and have loong pauses or its the other way around?

As I said I am looking to buy 12 HDD for NAS use.
Obviously I need to go to the pro side of things since they are more than 8+ HDD together to the same device.

I recently added some drives to both my 12 slot rack mounted NAS units and used 10TB - Seagate Exos X10 – Enterprise Hyperscale drives

ST10000NM0086 - 10TB - Seagate Enterprise HDD (Helium) - SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5" - Ideal for NAS servers above 4-24 Bays, File and Apps Servers, ideally suited for >150TB per annum DT.

I went with 6TB - Seagate Exos 7E8 ST6000NM021A Enterprise drives in another rack mounted server.