PTZ Optics camera

In Tom’s Christmas Eve live chat it looks like @egftechman had a question from someone using PTZ optics cameras. I’ve used a couple. What’s the question?

I was just curious who was using them and what kind of setups they are using…They’ve been a pretty good solution for televising municipal government meetings. We’ve been using them since 2016 with very few issues, main one being with autofocus…

I’m currently using them rtsp with gstreamer pipelines and snowmix doing the switching/mixing, encoding and streaming with a cluster of NUC6 i7s. Looking forward I may use the SDI (why we bought the SDI model to begin with, pro video integration) and move the whole setup to an ATEM switcher…to replicate the functionality of the ATEM television studio in a soft switcher (OBS, vmix, wirecast, etc), the cost of appropriate hardware would greater than the ATEM cost. Looking at doing a CasparCG mchine for graphics…

I’m using them, but with the NDI version and then OBS for streaming. As you know, rtsp adds lag and can be a pain depending on how you are syncing audio. Only issue with NDI is that your network has to support it.

rtsp tuned right only has a couple ms latency, like setting the latency to 1 or 2 in udpsrc in gstreamer (overrides the setting in the SDP from the camera) … I believe obs has a latency adjustment also from RTP/rtsp streams… You can also use multicast rtp with very little latency…