Proxmox Link Aggregation and TruNAS

While this question isn’t so much a TruNAS question as it is a network question.

Where is it best to set up link aggregation with a VM/Container on Proxmox?

I have a separate dedicated NIC for the TruNAS VM, with (2) bonded 10Gbe connections on the Proxmox host. I passed the unset virtual bridge for the bond into my TruNAS VM and set the networking up with in the VM. TruNAS only sees the one NIC while the host is aggregating the two physical NIC’s. All is working and I do not see any issues. At least I don’t think I do.

So my question is, is this the right way to do this, as it seems to be working as planned, or should I pass in each NIC as it’s own bridged interface and let TruNAS do the bonding in the VM. Or as I may erroneously believe, does it really matter as it seems to work.

Also, do I need to do pci-passthrough to actually get true link aggregation. I don’t believe I need to do that. I would not be surprised if there wasn’t some differences in actual performance between each of the three methods but again does it really matter? I am not sure that any performance issues that may be going on would be significant, if at all.

Thanks for any responses.