Product Recommendations request, NAS, Cameras

Hello,

My name is Dave, I’m a disabled home-owner in Dayton Ohio. I’ll start this by a confession I binge-watched all of Tom’s channel on cameras, NAS, switches, then I slowed down and took in the rest.

Unfortunately, I’ve just had a year of hell trying to get a guy out of here. That was followed up by a robbery on-premesis they left behind a dog which mauled/killed one of my cats and every house paper was gone through and tossed in six boxes. That situation has left a lot of debt plus chaos plus given your location in Michigan I doubt I’d be able to afford to get one of your work crews here. That being said I’ll explain my situation and I’m sure the initial questions are those you’ve heard many times before.

I’m looking for property surveillance coverage. I do not want anything subscription or cloud based. I’m thinking either wireless/solar powered cameras or PoE cameras, kind of leaning that way. I initially tried to find and follow the affiliate links to Amazon on Tom’s 2020 youtube submission on Budget cameras, and the Netgear PoE switch. I came up with nothing regarding the Reallink cameras and Amazon likewise does not have the Synology DS918+ that I again tried to follow and obtain.

I then looked at Tom’s 2023 youtube submission $30000 of cameras and came up with these initial steps. On the switch front I found both of them, I believe my need is between 4 and 6 cameras, and the Netgear aside from being much more expensive in my situation has a lot of space I very likely wouldn’t use, I intend to only have these cameras on that switch with nothing else, PfSense is next.

• NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged PoE Switch

• TP-Link TL-SG1005P, 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

This switch if I get it would be my first TP-Link equipment purchase, I’d appreciate any feedback pro conn and general impressions from users of this switch.

I’d also appreciate a Synology NAS recommendation, the 918+ was as I said what I was originally going for but if there’s something else with budget and performance greater than the 918 in the Synology line please let me know. For said NAS again your affiliate page and Amazon I looked at the Western Digital 8TB WD Purple Surveillance Internal Hard Drive I was thinking 8 or larger capacity, are these good drives? I was hoping for something faster maybe I’m thinking SSD but any feedback welcome.

Cameras I looked at your affiliate page, and found these two on Amazon.

• Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Bullet Security IP POE Camera
    Frame Rate: 15 fps
    Wattage: 6 Watts
    Mounting type: Wall Mount
    Viewing Angle: 112 Degrees
    Night Vision Range: 98 Feet

• Amcrest 4K POE Camera AI Human/Vehicle Detection, UltraHD 8MP Outdoor Security Turret POE IP Camera
    Frame rate: 30 fps
    Wattage: 9 Watts
    Mounting type: Ceiling Mount
    Viewing Angle: 108 Degrees
    Night Vision Range: 112 Feet

They seem to have tradeoffs if I’m getting all these specs right, the bullet has a lower fps than the turret, but the Turret has AI. The bullet seems to have a wider viewing angle than the Turret but the turret can see further. The bullet needs less power than the turret but the PoE switch should be able to handle either camera? Mounting I’m not sure about, the bullet has a wall mount, the turret a ceiling mount, these are both going to be outside so I don’t know if that makes a difference.

The point of all this explanation is to get feedback, opinions, recommendations if I’m off-base and to hopefully get the right equipment to get this going.
Thanks.
Dave.

I’ve been running IP cams for a while now, must be 10 years, so there is a good chance whatever you buy will last.

Just some tips:

1. I wouldn’t bother with an unmanaged switch, just buy a managed PoE switch, now you also have PoE+, basically as far as I can see they just handle more power. If you buy a Netgear switch make sure you buy the Pro version and not the Smart version as there are a few extra features.Just make sure your switch can handle the power requirements for your cams.

2. There are loads of IP cams now, I have the dome type that have been outside for a decade still working. However, before you buy I would look on the website and see when it was originally released, check the firmware updates. If it is too old you may have a shorter time period to receive updates.

3. I have a qnap NAS, it comes with 8 licenses if I want to record to it with a 9th cam I’ll have to spend more on a license, so you might want to check what comes with the NAS you buy and what you need to buy.

4. Funnily enough I started down this path due to the need of requiring IP cams. You’ll need OpenVPN to access your cams securely until you have pfSense running. In the meantime you can run OpenVPN on a raspberry pi for cheap.

I would go with the Synology system along with Amcrest cameras, we sell lots of them and they work really well. No subscriptions and Synology does have a nice app that allows for remote viewing.