Problems with USG LAN & LAN2 ports communicating

Hello all, thank you for your help.

I have my LAN connected to the LAN of my USG-3 and a NanoHD connect to LAN2. Everything can reach the internet just fine. My LAN cannot ping anything on the wifi side but the wifi can ping the lan just fine.
LAN: 10.0.0.1/24, DHCP: 10.0.0.1
AP: 10.20.20.1/24, DHCP 10.20.20.1

Ubiquiti forums state they can communicate with each other by default but I still created firewall rule opening everything between the 2 subnets.

OK i ruled out wifi. I disconnected the AP from LAN port 2 on the USG and connected a laptop directly. I’m getting the same problem. I can ping anything on LAN 1 from LAN 2 but not vice versa.

I’ve read there are issues with the 2 LAN ports communicating but the fact that I can ping 1 way but not the other gives me some hope.

Please help.

What is the purpose of using the LAN2 port? Is it to avoid using a separate switch? I have a bunch of spare USG 3 & 4’s sitting on a self in my lab. I’ll take to a look at it tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the same problem. As far as I know the two ports don’t talk to each other and is meant to a future release.

Yes only reason for using that port was because I didn’t have a spare switch. Besides why buy one when the USG had another port. I must have misunderstood the documentation, I thought it was possible, especially since I was able to ping in one direction.
Thanks for the offer but I did find a switch so I’m ok now. Besides I was mostly wanting to learn what I was doing wrong.

Unless you are wrong about the two ports being able to talk to each other, I’d like to learn what was wrong.

This is where I remember reading about the LAN2 post from a r/Ubiquiti :

LAN 2/VOIP port can be a secondary WAN port allowing to load balance across 2 WAN connections (internet).

If configured as LAN2 it is just that, it cannot be combined onto the same network as LAN1. The USG3 does not have any switching capabilities.