Portainer - Multiple macvlans on same interface

Nowhere I have searched, nor any of the videos I have watched, mentions about multiple macvlans, or even any notes of requirements or limitations. Whenever I try to setup a second macvlan, I get an error saying “network dm-xxxxxx” is already using that interface.

My question is if it is possible to have multiple macvlans pointing to different subnets on the same ethernet interface?

I am using an Intel NUC Extreme. Only one of the 2 ethernet ports appear to be detected. That one is the 2.5Gbps Intel. The 10Gbps Marvell is the missing one. Being an Intel NUC, I would have thought (& hoped) both would have been Intel interfaces.

Output of lspci -nn | grep -i net:
00:14.3 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:7af0] (rev 11)
6d:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-LM [8086:15f2] (rev 03)
6e:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Aquantia Corp. Device [1d6a:14c0] (rev 03)*

*Note: Aquantia was bought out by Marvell, and on the Intel website, it says the interface is Marvell.

My Pi-Hole, router, & UniFi are on one VLAN, while my computers are on another.

Thank you

I think I may have figured it out. You need to add a “.[VLAN#]” (i.e. eth0.10).

That at least allowed me to create the macvlan, and get a correct IP address.

Next is to see if I can actually connect to the container via said IP address.

A different issue I am having is creating a macVLAN in the same VLAN as the parent interface.

For example, Portainer is on VLAN 5 at 192.168.5.4. It appears I can’t create a macVLAN on VLAN 5.

Portainer will allow me to create the config for it, but it won’t let me actually create the macVLAN.

I created an DHCP pool in my normal pool just for my Docker containers.

Am I missing something, or is this simply not possible?

This should be helpful

Well, one thing I was doing wrong was I needed to set static IP address for the container in when setting up the container (kinda defeats the purpose for getting it’s own MAC address for using DHCP reservation in pfS to set the static IP. lol)

Another thing I learned from the video is the Portainer GUI has limitations, & I should learn to do most (if not all from SSHing into Docker). It would also be better for me to learn to use Portainer’s Stacks, if I’m to use Portainer to deploy containers.

I also have more studying on properly setting up & deploying said network types.

Thank you

PS. Do you also think he has some ADHD? Or do you think it’s too much coffee? :joy:
That being said, nobody can complain his videos are boring. :wink: