Pointers on integrating pfsense with unifi setup

I have been running unifi with several VLANs and some port forwarding for many years now and am finally able to have the time and funds to integrate pfsense.

Currently I have:

• 3 x APS
  • a cloudkey gen2
  • 24 port POE switch
  • USG-Pro-4

I was planning on swapping out the USG for a pfsense router and still using the cloudkey. But before spending the money I wanted to confirm that these should all work well together. Also if there were any gotchas that anyone knew of to help prepare ahead of time.

Doing the research I found the youtube video Office Network Design and Planning with VLANs, LLDP, Rules, IoT, Guest using UniFi & pfsense. Is there any other resources or advice people have before I set this up?

Does it make sense to keep the USG in the network design?

Thanks in advance.

Michael

I don’t have any Unifi kit, assuming you have a managed PoE switch I can’t see why it won’t, someone else will have to confirm if you can do a lift and shift job however.

Personally I find it handy to connect the pfSense box to the switch over a lagg if you have 2 or 4 available ports.

Keep a copy of the pfSense ISO as they only post the latest version online. Take constant pfsense backups as you try to configure it unless you are already familiar with it.

Yes, these devices will work together - you will have not issues

Have a look at this video - How To Setup VLANs With pfsense & UniFi 2022 - YouTube

Tom, has a debian unifi controller but you will have no issues with cloudkey2 for configuring Unifi hardware. You may look at resetting the Cloudkey as it will have settings for the USG.

We use PFsense and Unifi hardware without any issues

1 Like

Much appreciated. Just purchased the netgate and it feels good to get the extra assurance the money was well spent.

I just found this forum and it is a goldmine.

Michael

I have a pfsense, self hosted UniFi controller and a UniFi AP. I don’t have any issues at all running all this together.

Which pfsense model did you buy? If it’s one of the lower tiers there might be a gotcha but it’s nothing to be concerned about. The lower tier pfsense boxes have “marvell switching” on them. Which basically means there are these built-in VLAN’s on the ports themselves and they aren’t independent ports per say.

This is good documentation on configuring the switch ports on a netgate 1100:
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/solutions/sg-1100/configuring-the-switch-ports.html

Toms video:

If you got a higher tier netgate without the Marvell switch then don’t worry about it but, when the company I work for bought a netgate 1100 I was a little confused on the setup but really it was only just one more step for configuring VLAN’s on the switch ports you want.

Thank you. This was the type of pointers I was looking for.

The pfsenese router is a 7100 netgate switch. How can I tell if I will run into a need for this configuration?

I Was trying to find a 7100 on there but I don’t think they have that model or maybe you meant to put a different model? It will be label as a marvell switch if you look on the tech specs

This is where netgate used to sell it. Looking at the specs it mentions

“8-port 1Gbps Marvell 88E6190 switch, uplinked at 5 Gbps (2x 2.5 Gbps) to Intel SoC for LAN Virtual Machine Device Queues reduce I/O overhead”

Looks like it has the Marvell switch on it so you can use the references I posted earlier to get your VLAN’s going on the right ports. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. I never would have seen that coming.

Michael

OK dumb question. If I want my VLANs to only be on the wifi and the cabled ethernet to all be the LAN do I need to go through these steps outlined in the youtube video you pointed out here? Sorry if I am being pedantic.

Nice to see from the video you showed me a reference to the review of the XG7100.

So thanks again.

Michael

As several others have said, you will have little, if any, trouble running your pfSense and Unifi gear together. I have run pfSense on a Netgate 1100 for a couple of years, with an arguably overcomplex home network. In order to run multiple VLANs on WiFi, I recently changed out TP-Link APs and Cisco switches for Ubiquiti devices. I have a specific VLAN backhaul that I absolutely had to support as well and it all just works. There were a couple of minor hiccups along the way and I blogged my Unifi journey beginning with this post: WiFi Elevation | N5HRK Blogs

You can always come back to the forum if you run into any trouble. What you are asking (if I understand what you are saying) is possible to. Just set your VLAN ID’s you want to setup on your wifi networks and leave the default (VLAN 1 - LAN) excluded.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I have one last problem left with unifi certs (posted in another thread). But right now everything is running well. Multiple VLANs with smooth integration and isolation.

Michael