Spent most of the day (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out what I’ve done wrong here. Disconnected the home-lab to install a new 25gb NIC in the firewall (pfSense) to connect to a nice new UniFi XG 24 as well as do a little cable tidying.
When I powered it all back up I couldnt get an internet connection (pfSense dashboard just says IP on WAN is 0.0.0.0). Initially I found that the new card had meant the interfaces had all changed as the new card uses the same drivers as the other/existing card, and took over the 0 and 1 interfaces, moving the setup interfaces to 3 and 4 respectively.
I’ve fixed up the interface assignments to account for that but still cant get internet/an IP address.
If I connect the LAN port on the ONT direct to a PC, internet straight away, if I connect back to the WAN on the pfSense server, nothing. On the PC I get a public IP issued. This suggests to me the issue is on the pfSense side but I cant think what else I may have missed. Any suggestions appreciated.
I’d say it’s either something that already existed and only came up when you “rebooted” or your NIC card isn’t fully supported.
You can do a quick and dirty, just do a clean install of pfSense, that basic install gives access to via your LAN port. If that all works it’s your config if it doesn’t then it’s your card.
You can always inspect the logs and see if it has spewed anything useful.
I’ll add that when I changed my ISP, I had loads of issues, they only went away when I did a clean rebuild of pfSense. I suspect doing the same will resolve your issues if your card is supported.
I had an issue where pfSense just would not get an IP address from my ISP. Went through all the possible troubleshooting steps with them without success.
Oddly, an Edgerouter had no problem getting an IP address from my ISP, and pfSense could get an IP address from the Edgerouter. I was really busy so I left the Edgerouter in place until I had more time to troubleshoot it. That was four years ago, and it stayed there until I switched to a different ISP yesterday.
So I don’t have any advice on how to solve the problem, but you’re not the only one who has had to deal with it.
I had a similar problem after updating to the latest version of pfSense plus, albeit without changing any hardware. It was an issue with kea DHCP. I went through and changed a bunch of settings and it finally started working. I am not sure which of the settings did the trick to be honest. But I found that the update had changed a whole lot of settings, so I essentially walked through every screen and ensure it was set up the way I wanted. Once I did that it worked fine. Although I still have issues where I set the network interfaces to operate at 2.5gbe and after an update or reboot they all default to 1gbe. Kind of annoying.
Looks like it was the ISP, they had dropped the requirement for a VLAN tag, reinstalled and the WAN connected straight away…
Thanks @Super_Stealth, good to know Im not alone