pfSense random shutdown

Hi everyone.
I implemented a pfsense in a small network where the various PCs are connected via a 16 gigabit port dlink switch.
pfsense is installed on this hardware:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) J6412 @ 2.00GHz Current: 2096 MHz, Max: 1996 MHz 4 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s)
128Gb SSD and four network cards.
I’m finding the firewall turned off at various times of the day and I can’t figure out where the problem lies.
I replaced the firewall with new hardware updated to version 2.7 but the problem continues to occur.
Could you advise me where to investigate to understand what type of problem there is in the network or in the pfSense configuration.
There are no particular packages installed, FTP_Client_Proxy and openvpn-client-export.

Thanks for support.

Andrew.

Perhaps take a look at the system logs, however, this sounds like something overheating and the box switching itself off. Could also be some dodgy hardware, I’ve not seen pfSense randomly switch itself off even with config errors.

1 Like

To me this sounds hardware related. Might try to run a memtest on it.

1 Like

Hi everyone.
I believe that the problem is linked to equipment (multifunction printers) connected to the electrical network which is causing problems for the switching power supplies of the mini PCs that I use for my installations.
In fact, when these devices are turned off at the weekend, the firewall never turns off.
Now I will put an uninterruptible power supply online that allows me to stabilize the output towards the pfsense.
I’ll keep you up-to-date.

Thank you.

Haha I found this post today because I was experiencing the same problem.
It occurred to me that I had another switch sitting on top of my firewall (barracuda) blocking the outlet vent where the heat escapes. I took the switch off of it, problem solved! Now that it cools properly, no more unexpected shutdowns.