PFsense Proxy Arp Feature configuration

Is there a way to use overlapping ip address range on different Physical interfaces in pfsense… for example LAN1 -10.10.10.1/24 LAN2 10.10.10.50/29. & when the PFsense receives ARP request for the 10.10.10.50/29 network on LAN1 it responds with LAN1s physical mac-address. If there is any other way to achieve this i am open to that too.

PC (10.10.10.50/29)–>LAN2(10.10.10.51/29) LAN1(10.10.10.1/24)–>PC2 (10.10.10.254/24)

I am not aware of anyway for pfsense to allow overlapping network ranges as it would break routing. What are you trying to achieve?

Do you have a video that explains proxy arp VIPs on pfsense?

I have attached a rough diagram of what i am trying to achieve. Hopefully this will make sense. This setup works today on Mikrotik as it supports proxy arp and allows configuration of overlapping subnets on different physical ports. However i want to replicate this with pfsense as the OVPN capabilities are better.
so i have a device that doesn’t support VLANs (A) that send two different types of traffic that need to end up a two separate locations. To overcome this limitation we put a mikrotik router (no firewall/NAT) which splits the traffic for us. When A sends traffic for B, Mtik sends out to B and also responds for arp messages for A for return traffic. When A sends traffic that needs to go internet Mtik just routes out based on basic routing table. The reason we are doing it this way is

1. A needs to be part of the larger B subnet ( We cannot add routes on B)
  2. We cannot NAT on the router as A sends IP address information in the application data which will not be touched by the NAT.

Proxy Arp VIP is supported in pfsense, but I have not done a video on it nor have I had to set any of them up.
https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/book/firewall/virtual-ip-addresses.html

This is a very hacky, atypical implementation.

Maybe a solution is to setup a bridge with the interfaces that connect to “A” and “B” If they form a bridge, they’ll behave like a L2 switch, open to ARPs. I haven’t had the need to setup one in my work. I tried at my home PFSense just to see how it works, but it was a completely artificial scenario.

I have used Proxy ARP VIPs when a ISP gives you several blocks of public IPs over the same interface and you need those VIPs to do NAT 1:1. I haven’t had another use for them.
In fact the description from the PFSense Book is not very clear in my opinion, but describes the use I had for Proxy ARP VIPs.

I think it’s better to somehow simplify your network. I know you said there are restrictions.

Thanks for your response. I agree its hacky and i have tried coming up with multiple solutions but the only one that works is the one with Mikrotik. You are right Mtik also allows a bridged configuration. I will try and replicate that with pfsense.

So i finally have this working on pfsense using a bridged configuration. Thanks for the response.

You’re welcome!

Did you see that your post made it to yesterday’s streaming video?

1 Like