Pfsense, OpenVPN and DNS

Hey people!

I have a Pfsense, OpenVPN/Radius setup. I was trying to get hostnames working when connected and when I set “Force all DNS over OpenVPN” on the OVPN server it works fine (not sure if that’s there’s a way around that). Now I can ping hosts on the network I’m connected to using “hostname.localdomain”.

Unfortunately I have one app that connects to a server using only the hostname without the domain and it refuses to connect when I’m using OpenVPN. Is there a way to make this work by changes to the OpenVPN server or Pfsense environment? Or is this something I should fix using the hosts file on my Windows client? I’d prefer the former as it’ll be more future proof.

Thanks for any pointers!
B

I managed to get it working. There’s plenty of questions and possible solution floating around the net, but in the end it’s very simple and the solution came from a Netgate employee so I’m quite confident it’s the correct way to achieve this (Local hostnames won't resolve over OpenVPN | Netgate Forum Derelict’s post)

You have to make sure that you push the DNS and the domain (I was missing that part) in the OpenVPN server configuration. In my case it looks like this: