Pfsense - NET::ERR_CERT_REVOKED on Chrome & Brave on MacOS

I am getting a “NET::ERR_CERT_REVOKED” error when I try to go to the Pfsense GUI web interface on both Chrome (version 80) & Brave on MacOS.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I found out the hard way that Safari won’t always allow edits to all fields. More info on that here: Pfsense - Force All Computers to Pfsense's DNS Except for a Few IPs?

Thank you!

Only thing that comes to mind is that with Chrome, root certificates have to be installed separately in the browser as Chrome doesn’t use the OS’ certificate list. But even then, the error clearly states that the cert is revoked, not that it couldn’t be verified.

Out of interest, who did issue the certificate?

What certificate are you using on pfSense? You don’t happen to have one of those Lets Encrypt certs that were all revoked in stages beginning a few weeks back?

It is using a self-signed cert that expires in 2025. I noticed in the Pfsense update that it limits them to 825 days I think because longer expiration dates cause problems with some browsers. Hopefully, it will fix it after I upgrade.

Thank you!

I just updated, then following the directions here under the “Notable Bugs” section: https://www.netgate.com/blog/pfsense-2-4-5-release-now-available.html

Then, I logged in via SSH, chose option 8 to get to the shell, and ran this command to fix the certificate error “pfSsh.php playback generateguicert”

1 Like