pfSense loosing interface assignments

Please excuse me if this question is newbie or answered already however I am unable to find an answer.

I have pfSense installed on Proxmox with SFP+ card used in passthrough to pfsense VM. Somehow I am loosing my interface assignments every night and i have to manually run and assignments from console which resolves the issue. WAN interface is assigned using DHCP and modem is set to passthrough my public ip directly to WAN. Not really sure if its hardware related as I have one VM created for OPNSense using the same hardware same approach and that stays on without loosing interfaces.

I can provide more detail if needed but please keep in mind that I am really new to pfsense, opnsense firewalls and i cant seems to figure out if i missed any checkbox or something.
thanks in advanced
Andy

Sounds like a Compatability issue.

Do the interfaces come back up in pfSense with the same MAC every time?

I don’t have any specific experience with proxmox or with passthrough but I think pfSense would view them as new interfaces if the MAC changed. My guess is that pfSense thinks the interfaces that were there have vanished and that you have new ones but it doesn’t know what to do with them.

Also worth checking that you pulled the CD / .iso as I think booting from CD can cause something like this. (vague memory from the distant past somewhere)

Thank you @Chris_sctech and @garethw for your response.

The issue seems to be resolved now however will update here if it comes back.

The solution or problem was with how i had setup/using Proxmox. I had OPNSense VM created first with the same 10gbe PCI card passthrough which worked fine. Then to try pfSense i had created another VM with same PCI card passthrough and had turned off OPNSense Vm thinking since its in off state it doesn’t matter. Which in most case doesn’t however on top that I had nightly snapshots running of all of my VMs. I delete OPNSense VM and after 24 hours i can confirm that the issue hasn’t re-occurred yet. So the setup of pfSense was fine in this case.

1 Like