pfSense limiting speeds to 94 mbps

Greetings all,

Recently switched over my unifi network to pfSense being the edge router. I dropped my USG (for now), and got everything switched over fine. However, my pfSense seems to be limiting my speeds to 94 Mbps. I know this server I have it on (dell r420) can handle gig speeds because I used it in the house prior to moving to this one. Anyway the specs are Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2440 0 @ 2.40GHz
12 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 6 core(s) x 2 hardware threads, with 48GB RAM. Everything is 1000baseT (full duplex). Does anyone have any ideas why I’m being limited?

If I need to post more info I can, I don’t think it is a hardware issue. Everything is up-to-date, and I am a little stumped to why I’m not getting full GiG speeds.


install iperf on pfsense via the package manager and test it against your server.

[ 4] local port 28518 connected to port 5201
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-1.00 sec 11.4 MBytes 95.4 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 1.00-2.01 sec 11.4 MBytes 94.6 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 2.01-3.00 sec 11.1 MBytes 94.2 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 3.00-4.01 sec 11.2 MBytes 93.6 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 4.01-5.01 sec 11.2 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-5.01 sec 56.4 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-5.01 sec 56.4 MBytes 94.4 Mbits/sec receiver

All wired connection from my GamingPC to the pfsense router.

So, I’m still using the Unifi controller, had issues getting it to stop giving out / attaching the old network IP. I got everything to switch to the new network IP. I’m not sure if the controller is causing this limiting of the network speed. But everything else should be fine unless pfSense is doing something. Prior, to installing my pfSense box, I was getting GiG speeds with the USG. Really unsure of what is causing this…

Some nic is running at 100 Mbps or your cable is bad. My test: 1000 Mbps wired

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.10 GBytes   941 Mbits/sec                  receiver

I’m an idiot…for some reason, my unifi switches were on auto negotiation…switching this to 1GB fixed the issue.