pfSense freezes on system update

Greetings,

I started the system update to pfsense 21.02_1 on my SG-5100 and it froze on the line:

[41/215] Fetching pfSense-pkg-Netgate_Coreboot_pgrade-0.29_1.txz

It’s been frozen here for about an hour now. The instructions explicitly say to wait and not leave or refresh the page until update completes. However, when I scroll through the logs, it’s all just prep work and fetching. I don’t think any packages have actually been modified yet. Just wanted to run it by you guys first and get a second opinion before refreshing and starting over? Suggestions?

-Willie

Negate advice is to remove packages then do the upgrade.

Ok I forgot I have backups. I’ve tried restarting a few times and each time it hangs at the same place.

[41/215] Fetching pfSense-pkg-Netgate_Coreboot_pgrade-0.29_1.txz

Perhaps it’s on the wrong branch for updates … check system > update

Netgate DOES NOT say to remove packaged before the upgrade, they say “Do not upgrade packages before upgrading pfSense® software. Either remove all packages or leave the packages alone before running the update.”

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/install/upgrade-guide.html

When in doubt reload the device with the new version and restore from the backup you made just before the update. We have updated a few SG-5100 and they went fine.

Yeah, I haven’t upgraded any packages since before pfsense v21_02 was released so don’t think that is the problem. I am actually getting errors now though:

[44/175] Fetching libmcrypt-2.5.8_3.txz: … done
[45/175] Fetching libmaxminddb-1.4.3.txz: … done
pkg-static: https://files01.netgate.com/pkg/pfSense_plus-v21_02_amd64-pfSense_plus-v21_02/All/liblz4-1.9.3,1.txz: No route to host
Failed

I hate it when the bug changes midway through troubleshooting.

When you say reload the device with the “new version” do you mean v21_02? Cause that’s the version I’m having trouble upgrading to.

Solved… Well… Kinda…

I just kept rerunning the update after every timeout, each time it would fetch a couple more packages until it eventually got all of them at which point the Netgate upgraded and restarted. I was back up and running in about 10 min.

Still, i wonder why it kept failing for “No Route to Host”.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

-W