Pfsense - Deep Packet (SSL) Inspection?

I’ve worked with Sonicwall firewalls for years for my business customers. I have setup DPI-SSL on them with good success, although there is a measurable performance hit. I haven’t heard much about DPI-SSL with pfsense. Is pfsense capable of this, and, if so, how would one go about setting it up (packages, settings)?

I’ve searched the internet, but have not found anything. I thought this forum would be a good place to ask.

I would look to deploy Squid. You’ll setup a forward proxy and should be able to inspect traffic then.

I have a video breaking down how we do content filtering and why we don’t use pfsense for that.

That’s a nicely done video. Even though this video was focused on content filtering, it sounds like the same principles and issues would apply to malware blocking.

Yes, with so much of the traffic being encrypted the firewall is just not as effective anymore and being able to stop that traffic.

I installed pfsense on an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 with an i7 processor and one of the recommended 4 port Intel cards last night. I can’t say the installation went smoothly. I got a Fatal Error 9 twice. I created a new boot disk, selected “Single User” at the menu. Then the installation stopped again, but this time at a command prompt. I typed “exit”, and it continued on its way. This is not a “polished” installer, but I got through it.

It is running well. I ran a speed test, and at 350 Mbps, it is only at 10% of the CPU utilization. I am curious what it will be on gigabit internet.