pfSense CE vs 2.7.2 version controll

Hello everyone,

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I ran into the following situation the other day, and I can’t explain it, and I’m hoping someone here can help.

I have pfSense CE Version 2.7.0-RELEASE (amd64) running on a dedicated box. My dedicated box has been updated multiple times from prior releases, and it works great, and it says it’s current.

The other day I went to download a fresh copy of the s/w to build a box for my friend and the CE version appears to be 2.7.2 not 2.7.0.

I installed it and it’s pfSens+, not the CE.

I check the filename and it’s: pfSense-CE-memstick-2.7.2-RELEASE-amd64.txt

Note the “CE”

I want to make sure I’m using the correct file for the CE, not the pfSense+. Can anyone offer some insight?

Thank you?

The current version of CE is 2.7.2, not sure why your box has decided not to offer you any updates beyond 2.7.0, but maybe the following thread on the Netgate forums will be of any help: Upgrade pfsense CE 2.7.0 to 2.7.1 | Netgate Forum

Afaik, there are no dedicated pfSense+ ISOs or archives available for download, so yes, if you downloaded the archive or ISO from here, you downloaded CE.

This also means that users who want to install pfSense+ on non-Netgate hardware will need to download and install CE first, and then migrate to +: Installing and Upgrading — Migrate from pfSense® CE software to Netgate pfSense Plus software | pfSense Documentation

Thank you so much…
I reinstalled the s/w and have the CE again.
The upgrade option must have been selected in error during the configuration.
Thank you for your help and insight!

1 Like

FYI - If you ever had a licence for + (when it was free) on the same hardware, it may well detect that you had it and offered the updates from CE to Plus?

(The licence key is generated from the MAC of the NICs - not the most robust of IDs).