pfSense 2.7 CE randomly drops internet gateway connectivity

Hi, I have been running 2.5.2 since it came out. It has been rock solid. I am running PFS in a Virtualbox VM with Intel NICs in Bridged Mode. Nothing tricky just 4 LANs and OpenVPN. I do use NAT Port forwarding for the VPN.

When 2.6 came out I upgraded and immediately had issue with the GW going down so I returned to 2.5.2. I recently attempted an upgrade to PFS 2.7 (clean install into a VM) and once again have issues with the Internet GW going down randomly and requiring a reboot to resolve. I receive the following (typical) in the Sys Log:

Oct 10 19:11:44 dpinger 90691 WANEM0_DHCP xx.x.x.x: Alarm latency 45343us stddev 33169us loss 93%

At this point resetting all Services does NOT restore connectivity requiring a full reboot.
I have read numerous posts both on the Internet and LTS but nothing has worked. I have tried the following:

1. Tried various Monitoring IP as well as Disabled GW Monitoring
  2. Adjusting various Advanced Settings under System | Routing | GW for Latency etc.
  3. Resetting all Services
  4. Had ISP run a diagnostic. AOK

I cannot believe I have a HW issue as 2.5.2 runs great with normal Latency shown and GW Monitoring Enabled. I have a DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem provided by Sp-ctrum ISP

It seems that dpinger is not the culprit since the GW goes down without it enabled.

Any ideas and assistance are greatly appreciated! TY

Running pfSense in a VM is considered forbidden for issues like these. I already know your argument is going to be “well it worked fine on 2.5.2”. But I’m afraid you are going to run yourself crazy trying to figure out an issue that can be easily solvable by running it on supported bare metal or on an official netgate appliance.

On the other hand it could be ISP related also, but you would need to test with with other hardware. I had an issue with random drops and it turned out to be my modem. I swapped the modem and everything was fixed.

But if you must go down the rabbit hole there is a post where it was hosted in proxmox.

The Thing with the Modem is very much real…just a week ago i had to completely factory reset the Modem of my ISP until it started working again.

I don’t know the reason for that because the Modem should be in bridge Mode and all but still…about 1 min it worked and suddenly the Modem crashed again for about 5 Minutes until it tried to reconnect.

And that happened over and over again.

(SOLVED) I wanted to leave some things to try if you are using Virtualbox as your hypervisor and experience this issue. I am now running 2.7.2 with no issues. I am using a total of 5 LAN ports and I think this may have raised the issue initially.

1. Under Settings | System | MOBO - I changed the CHIPSET to ICH9

2. It seems the Gateway Monitoring IP and actions can contribute to internet drops. Disable monitoring (and action) and see if that resolves the issue. Also try changing the Monitoring IP. I had and issue with loss loss of DNS when using (9…) as DNS and monitoring.

Hope that this helps someone.