On-site Backup Appliance

Hi,

I am considering how to best provide backup services for my MSP clients and I wanted to see if any of you provide backup appliances for each client as part of your backup services? Or do you just rely on cloud backup? If you have a backup appliance what do you use for the hardware/software?

Thanks.

Matt

Cloud and a NAS on site that might be a TrueNAS or a Synology.

3 Likes

Thanks! Would you be inclined to use the proprietary backup software for each of these solutions or something else? Is there a specific reason why you might choose TrueNAS or Synology for a client (i.e. size, or scale of client operations)?

Also, is this the standard setup when a client wants backup or would this be something extra?

Thanks.

TrueNAS or Synology is often based on if they have on of these devices already, if not we sell them one. Not all clients need this, some have really basic setups and an on site appliance is just not needed.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the advice!

Matt

Synology works great!

1 Like

For medium size / large clients that require or can benefit from it, I use backup software which provides a hybrid backup to both a local NAS and cloud account, simultaneously in the same backup job. Most small clients just go to cloud, though.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

Do you mind sharing the backup solution that you use? I know there are a lot of different ones on the market.

Sure, It’s MSP360 (formerly Cloudberry). They just provide the backup software and central management, but allow you to choose from a bunch of different storage providers like BackBlazeB2, Amazon S3, etc… Their customer service is pretty good, too.

2 Likes

So many options. Personally I do not like cloud only options since it is so cheap to have something on prem and replicate to the cloud. For the smaller sites (even larger ones but as secondary repos) I use Veeam with a Linux Hardened Repo running on a physical computer/server (the appliance) replicating to Wasabi. V12 of Veeam (releasing soon) will allow direct to Object. A box for the repo is about the same cost as a NAS. Whatever tool works for you

2 Likes