No mDNS through a wireless uplink AP?

Hi Guys,

i have a problem with one of my Unifi APs. I have a separate VLAN for my IOT devices and I uses the avahi package to multicast the mDNS packets to my main LAN.

One of my APs is hard wired and the second has a wireless uplink.

The curious thing is, when im connected to the wired AP everything works fine. I can use HomeKit without any problems.
But when I move to the other section of the house where the other AP is, all the IOT devices are not responding anymore.

Do you have any suggestions where I can look for?

thanks a lot!

Hello,

Have you ever got an solution for this?
Just added a wireless uplink and I experience the same issue as you describe.

Wired ap ac pro
Wireless ap ac lr

Kind regards,

Don

My guess is that this is due to the feature “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data” because the wireless uplink is done via extra hidden wireless network(s). By the way this setting also gets enable by the site-wide setting “Auto-Optimize”.

Thnx for reply but this is switched off. I have to check auto-optimize but I am pretty sure this is switched off too.

At the end I was tired testing. I hard wired the AP and it worked.

Sorry that I can’t help you more.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about doing just that but it would be nice to have it fixed for instances where hardwire isn’t an option.

Thanks again :wink:

Ok, so this happened, I kept searching and some posts on the net say to enable and some say to disable ‘Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)’.

Enabled it didn’t work, disabled it did work but my sonos came up with the exact same issue. Working on the wired uplink and not working on the wireless uplink. So fiddling around with settings I have ‘Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)’ disabled on my main wifi with iPhone/laptop and enabled on the IoT wifi. Now it all works.

Hope it is useful for the next person searching the net for this issue.

Kind regards.