NFS share missing directory owner

Hello-

I’m hoping to get some insight into what could be happening with an issue I’m having with an NFS share on a linux (Debian 11 bullseye).

The NFS server is hosted on TrueNAS Core and is configured with NFSv4 enabled with NFSv3 ownership model for NFSv4. As part of my implementation I created the following users and groups on the TrueNAS
server.

user1 with a user1 group
user2 with a user2 group
nfsgroup with user1 and user2 as members of this group.

On the Debian client I created this same user and group structure using the same UIDs and GIDs as were assigned on the TrueNAS server. The ‘user1’ account is my login account on the Debian box. The ‘user2’ does not login to
the Debian box as was created with the idea of being able to see the directories and files that are owned by user2 as well as any user2 files or directories that have user2 group permissions.

The issue that I’m having is that directories that are owned by user2 are not showing the owner as user2 in the Nautilus file manager. I can see user2 as the owner of its directories when doing an ‘ls -l’ command.

I’ve tried configuring the ACLs for the and permissions for the NFS share on the server as well as attempted to check the NFS client for configurations such as idmapd. It looks like TrueNAS is NFSv4 is running idmapd. I’ve checked to make sure the domain listed on the NFS server is the same as the client.

I’ll admit, I not sure what else I can check to resolve the issue on the client or the server. Directories that are owned by other users, such as root and user1 show up fine and the permissions set for the NFS share are working as expected. I’ve read sever StackExhange and other posts regarding the issue of ‘nogroup’ or when a UID or GID showup as a number, but I just can’t seem to get why this is happening in Nautilus.

Any insight into where to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

Other note: I have MacOS clients and dont have this same issue. I can see the NFS share owners on all my directories.

Welcome to the forums! I am not sure how to solve the issue with NFS as my solution is having my Debian & Ubuntu systems connect to TrueNAS via SMB. Maybe someone else here has a solution to get that working with NFS.

can you post /etc/exports ?

If user2 doesn’t show up as the owner then who does?

Have you created user2 on the local system with the same uid?

When user2 is the owner it shows as a blank in the file manager. I’ve checked that user2 has the same uid and gid as those on the TrueNAS server.

I actually have 2 Linux clients that have this issue (Debian 11 and a Ubuntu 22.04).

Below is the /etc/exports file from TrueNAS hosting NFSv4 server:

V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/tank1/ds1/kirk -alldirs -maproot=“root”:“wheel” -sec=sys
/mnt/tank1/ds1/spock -alldirs -maproot=“root”:“wheel” -sec=sys
/mnt/tank1/ds1/redshirt -alldirs -maproot=“root”:“wheel” -sec=sys
/mnt/tank1/ds1/archive -alldirs -maproot=“root”:“wheel” -sec=sys
/mnt/tank1/ds1/backups/other -maproot=“root”:“wheel” -sec=sys deslnxmr01.lan.opx.ac deslnxmr02.lan.opx.ac

The directories hosted on my ‘kirk’ drive is the share that has directories owned by user2. I did check to make sure the server and host domain names are the same using ‘hostname -d’ and they appear to be the same on server and host.