Nextcloud, install: vm? docker? truenas?

Hello and welcome to the part… well I don’t remember the exact number, but it is a new episode of my series “Short-road to the madhouse feat. HomeLab build” :innocent:

I need some suggest to choose the right place to put nextcloud

• Docker on a separate vm from other IoT apps (home assistant, mqtt, node-red, etc) + nfs (truenas) share
  • Docker on the same vm of the other IoT apps (home assistant, mqtt, node-red, etc) + nfs (truenas) share
  • Docker on a vm with large disk
  • Directly on a vm + nfs (truenas) share
  • Directly on a vm with large disk
  • Directly on Truenas
  • Other?

0 voters

which one should I choose? and which one did you choose?

Thanks

spoiler alert:
yesterday evening I tried the first option but it was a nightmare fighting with permissions nextcloud on docker and the nfs, at the end after many fails I did another step to mental insanity :sweat_smile: :melting_face:

I have mine on a VM with a semi-large disk, but also finagled a way to get a TrueNAS share for one of the folders which I knew would grow to a much larger storage capacity and that I would need access to from other devices, as well, that aren’t running Nextcloud. It was a bit of an ordeal finding out how to map it correctly so it would work as intended, as documentation for that isn’t very clear and I had to read through a bunch of random forum posts until I found the answer which, from what I remember, wasn’t all that complicated to do, but wasn’t an intuitive process.
TL;DR - If you have a large enough storage capacity to dedicate on your TrueNAS for the storage anyway, may as well make a huge iSCSI LUN and load your Nextcloud VM to that so the storage is native to the Nextcloud instance.