Newbie to TrueNas (LAGG and Speed)

I’m a complete newbie to this… I’ve used Windows most of my life and decide to get into building a NAS server for media, data, etc. The videos have been helpful, but I’m clearly lost… I got 3 LAN ports in the NAS… The web connection and the other 2 set up as LAGG… I know that I won’t get double the speed by combining two, but I having trouble with data transfer between Windows 10 to the TrueNAS… I’m averaging about 40MB/s. I have tried a few changes in Windows to increase it, but with no success… I don’t know if its something the NAS or my Windows… (Really wish there was a course that I could take in all this lol) Any help would be appreciative… I have over 30TB to move over and I would like to finish before the next decade…lol

1 Like

Hello,

without more information, I’m afraid I don’t have much of an answer for you. what hardware are you running in this system. how many drives, what are they in? CPU and ram does play a role but should matter a whole lot at gigabit speeds.

You DO NOT get double the speed by using LAGG. When using LAGG you have a wider path which will allow multiple streams to go at the aggregate speed of the LAGG but any single stream such as a SMB share to a single computer can not exceed the speed of the individual links that make up the LAGG.

Client
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
XPG Spectrix D41 RGB 3600MHz 16GB (2x8GB) CL18
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI
Sabrent 500GB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
Western Digital WD2002FAEX 2TB Hard Drive

Windows 10 Professional Version 20H2

Dual Intel NIC Cards (One Intergrated & One Add-on) Static Link Aggregation

Server
AMD A10-7890K
Patriot 16GB(2x8GB) Viper III DDR3 1866MHz CL10
GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-UP4
Western Digital 500GB Blue
3x Western Digital 10TB
Western Digital 6TB
Western Digital 5TB
Western Digital 4TB
Western Digital 3TB [NAS]

Will be adding once data has been transferred
Western Digital 14TB
Western Digital 18TB

TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE

Realtek NIC (Intergrated)
Syba Dual Port Gigabit Ethernet (SD-PEX24041) LACP
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 via PCI Express adapter

Using a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router (R8000P), AC4000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed & a NETGEAR R7300 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart Wireless WiFi Gigabit Router (as an Access Point)

1 Like

I understand that I will not get double the speed. It’s not even using the LAGG connection and now I randomly getting alerts stating this:

These ports are not ACTIVE on LAGG interface lagg0: re1, re2. Please check cabling and switch.

I think I may have set it up wrong…

did you enable lagg on the switch on the other end? also which drive is the boot drive for TRUnas. sounds like a very nice nas build :+1:

Edit:
DOH! i am going to guess and say the wd blue is the os drive.

on the topic of slow speeds, it could also greatly depend on the files being copied to the nas if you are moving a ton of small file it goes slower then if its a fewer larger files. I forgot what my nas would do for write speeds so I created a 20GB dummy file and it looks like it sustained about 600 Mbps thru out the copy. i have a mix of 2 Seagate 3 TB drives and 3 HGST enterprise drives in my nas. It’s also connected to my esxi server for VM storage.

1 Like

Correct that its the blue one… Forgot that I also install a Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 via PCI Express adapter for the jails. But part of it I think is the router failing (just crashed on me) and that I don’t know how to default the NAS to use the LAGG connection instead of the single connection I was using to connect to it via the web browser. Any help would be great… Especially if anyone knows where to find the instructor led trainings are for me to watch and learn… :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh, I understand you… Just yesterday I started to learn how to use Python and Java. My head is being blown up :smiley: