New server build your opinions os setup :)

I am at the moment running Ubuntu server 18.04 with ZFS and docker-compose so all my apps are running in docker containers. I am going to build a new server as this is getting old and was wondering regarding OS, I would still use Ubuntu Server but was wondering If I should use proxmox , I played around with proxmox and liked it but the problem I ren into was that I can not pass the ZFS pool I created on proxmox to a VM, So my options look like I would have to share the storage by NFS but I dont really like that as everything is on the same machine so adding NFS would be extra, also could pass all my drives to Ubuntu VM and import or create the pool there. So anyone thinks a hypervisor is worth adding or just an extra complexity?

Regards

Chris

I personally like having a hypervisor, but I’m not any good with Docker and have a different storage configuration. The main advantage of a hypervisor in my mind is that you can have a wider range of OSs running.

Thanks for your reply.
Think I would be installing ubuntu server as my apps will still be running in containers (docker)and I do not have a use for running different OSs on the server.
So what’s your setup if you dont mind sharing?

I can have up to 3 ESXi hypervisors I can run, currently running two and thinking about going down to one. I have two storage servers. One is a Windows 2012R2 VM with physical disks passed through, 36TB formatted. The other is FreeNAS with 10.5TB raidz2 hdd pool and 1.7TB mirrored ssd pool with 10g networking. I currently have 19 of my 26 VMs powered on.

2 Likes

wow thats alot of VMS :).
Nice setup you got.

I’m good at breaking things. So it’s nice to have each VM only do one thing. That way I only break that one thing at a time.

Oh, the other really nice thing about VMs is snapshots. They make updates and changes less of a headache when they don’t work right, if you remember to take the snapshot first that is.

1 Like

Yes reminding me of snapshots that’s another plus. I run apps in docker containers so the base OS should, for the most part, be clean and not break. where did you get stuck in docker? many apps have docker containers ready, also Linuxserver.io has many great docker containers and using docker-compose makes it much more fun :slight_smile: sudo docker-compose pull sudo docker-compose up, all containers are now updated, also you don’t have to wary for allocating or wasting CPU power ram and disk space.

I only have one thing running in Docker, and that’s because that’s the only way they package it. It’s mainly that I haven’t tried to do things with Docker because VMs work. If you count the different versions of a OS or distro, I’m running 9 different ones in VMs and 3 more only on bare metal. The learning that comes from that can’t be replicated by Docker. And the learning is my main reason for messing around with all this stuff.

@mouseskowitz

Interesting to see you have 19 VMs on FreeNAS? Although you said VMs – does this include jails or are you truly running all of them as VMs?

FreeNAS is the storage back end for ESXi over iSCSI. I only have one plugin actually running in FreeNAS. Sorry if my wording was a little unclear.

1 Like

As an option you can run ZFS over iSCSI

1 Like

You mean create storage on proxmox then passed to VMS using iSCSI?

If the storage is local to you, I don’t see an issue, just pass the disks physically and generate the ZFS pool on the VM side. If the storage is remote, use ZFS over iSCSI. :slight_smile:

Without being an expert on anything , my opinion about docker is the same as about Java.

As an idea on paper it sounds very good, but in reality it doesn’t materialize.

1 Like

Mind giving an example or a better explanation? I am using docker on Ubuntu server for over a year and all I have to say is good things about it, but if you have bad stories please share.

People suppose to compile against Java and it will run “everywhere”.

People suppose to install on Docker and it will install everywhere where Docker is. Which is true, but often I find easier to install stuff directly on linux than inside a Docker container.
(at least it was my experience with some TensorFlow stuff)

Maybe If I take an already configured container with the stuff I want, it will be as easy to install as a premade VM.

UnRaid Might B Worth A Look To Ya! I Run Freenas for all my data backups and plex, & some vm’s But UnRaid Has Pci Pas Through So That May Work Out Real Well For Ya ! I Have played with proxmox but very litle !!