Hi All, I am looking to build my first homelab server shortly and just want to run a few questions by you all to get an idea if I’m headed in the right direction, as well as some suggestions for anything I can improve.
My plan is to run XCP-NG and Xen Orchestra as the hypervisor, using 2x M.2 drives for the boot in a ZFS Raid(?) or Raid 1 configuration for redundancy. I’m also planning to run 2x 1TB SSDs for storing the VM images / VHDs etc. in a similar configuration to the M.2 drives for redundancy.
I’ll use 5x HDDs in a ZFS Raid to hold backups, personal data (photos/files), movies, tv shows, etc.
The GPU will be used so I can play with passthrough to Plex for hardware transcoding. I don’t anticipate more than 2 streams needing to be transcoded at once if even 1 most of the time, so no need to splurge big here right now.
- Mobo: ASRock AMD Ryzen X470 Taichi Ultimate
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700CPU
- Cooler: Bundled Wraith Spire
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 (AMD Ryzen Tuned if that matters all that much?)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT710 2GB
- M.2 Boot Drives (x2): Corsair MP510 240GB NVMe
- SSD VM Storage (x2): Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD
- HDD (x5): WD Red (currently own 4x 3TB - thinking of increasing this to 8TB or 10TB drives)
- Power: Corsair 750w HX750i Fully Modular
- Case: SilverStone CS350B 4U120mm
- 120mm Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM Cooling Fan
- 80mm Case Fan (x3): Noctua NF-A8 PWM
Planned Initial Use Case
- Virtual PFSense (initially to tinker with, maybe replace my Unifi USG later on)
- Virtual NAS to replace my ageing HP Microserver
- Remote development VM
- Backup services / NextCloud
- Bitwarden Password Management
- Misc Linux/Windows VMs for tinkering and certification training
- Unifi controller
- Hosting a website
Future Expansion/Use Ideas
I may move my GTX1080 into this machine to replace the GT710, or purchase a GTX2080, for use with Kaggle / data science type work once I feel more comfortable with this and move into bigger data sets.
Installing a quad NIC for PFSense if it’s going to replace the Unifi USG.
A VM for handling some security cameras around the home (undecided on Unifi or Ring).
- Would a 750w power supply be enough for this build, taking into account the future planned use (quad NIC + newer GPU)?
- Does the wraith spire cooler come with its own thermal paste? Or am I best buying this separate?
1a. Any other suggestions for coolers? If you have had any negative performance from the stock cooler.
- Are the Noctua Fans I have chosen suitable for keeping the system relatively quiet?
- Are there any other suggestions or advice you can provide based on the above?
Thank you for any information you can provide!